Trying to learn CentOS

expmrb

Reaction score
Credits
I have been trying to learn CentOS so I can manage the server. I am currently using shared hosting for my site and soon I will be migrating to VPS or something else.

As I am learning so I need to practice the linux commands without any problem such as installing apache through yum and running it.

I am currently using windows 7 in pc (I don't have much space in it) and I don't want to change so is there any safe way to practice the codes without using any Virtual Machines or installing linux? I saw some services like cygwin so I was wondering.

Thanks in advance.

(*thinks* How can I learn to play the trumpet without blowing it?)

You could use a LiveCD. If you boot from that you can run Centos without affecting your laptop in any way. BE AWARE it will forget EVERYTHING when you switch off.

You can put a LiveCD onto a USB stick. You can put it onto a USB stick "with persistence" and it will remember SOME things. Or you can do a full install to a (sufficiently large) USB stick.

https://livecdlist.com/centos/

(*thinks* How can I learn to play the trumpet without blowing it?)

You could use a LiveCD. If you boot from that you can run Centos without affecting your laptop in any way. BE AWARE it will forget EVERYTHING when you switch off.

You can put a LiveCD onto a USB stick. You can put it onto a USB stick "with persistence" and it will remember SOME things. Or you can do a full install to a (sufficiently large) USB stick.

https://livecdlist.com/centos/
So, I have the Live CD. And also a 64gb pen drive. Can I install the CentOS in the pendrive?

Yes, you can do a full install to the pendrive. Be careful where it goes!
What do you mean by where it goes? Are you not sure that it will work?

Or, I have to install a virtualbox in the pendrive and then install CentOS in it?

Just make sure you install Linux to your pendrive and not to your Hard Drive by mistake...

No, you shouldn't instal VirtualBox to the pendrive. It is just a plain, full install.

Just make sure you install Linux to your pendrive and not to your Hard Drive by mistake...

No, you shouldn't instal VirtualBox to the pendrive. It is just a plain, full install.
Is there are tutorial or guide, that you think that I should look into first? You know before making a full install in an external drive.

Staff online

Latest posts