Trying to symbolic link a internal folder to a sd card

Theeking

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to symbolic link a internal folder to a SD card. What I am trying to achieve is I have Batocera os on a sd card that is formatted to ext4 and steam os(Arch Linux) on a internal drive. I have all my roms on my SD card that has a directory of rootfs/run/media/SHARE/roms. This SD card has a fully functional OS to play games. Problem is I have issues with some games and I can play them on my steam deck as well without having to do all the work again and use up more space on my internal drive. I have an app that has similar folder structure but looks in the internal drive instead. These folders inside have symbolic links for some folders already. For example I have a GC folder pointing to a Gamecube folder. Now my program on steam deck looks in Home/Emulation/roms for the exact same folders. I am trying to point Home/Emulation/roms to rootfs/run/media/SHARE/roms. When I run konsole and use the command cd / hit enter then ln -s ~/Home/Emulation/roms ~rootfs/run/media/Share/roms I get the error ln: failed to create symbolic link /home/deck/run/media/SHARE/roms no such directory exist. I have tried without the /rootfs/. So the problem is it is looking in /home/deck first when i should be in the root folder. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

I've taken the liberty of moving this to the Linux Gaming sub-forum. While it'd fit in General, it's likely more appropriate in this sub-forum, given the nature of helpers we get.

However, don't be alarmed. The vast majority of helpers are going to view pretty much all threads.

What is the output of ...

df -h

This is just to get the original path. But more likely, it's something with the mount point.

What is the output of...

ls /home/deck/run/media/SHARE/

(leave "roms" off for now).

One thing I do notice above....

I am trying to point Home/Emulation/roms to rootfs/run/media/SHARE/roms. When I run konsole and use the command cd / hit enter then ln -s ~/Home/Emulation/roms ~rootfs/run/media/Share/roms I get the error ln: failed to create symbolic link /home/deck/run/media/SHARE/roms

~ is a directory. So ~rootfs in invalid. You need ~/rootfs
In the first sentence you have SHARE capitalized, but when you try to link in the second sentence you have "Share" lowercase.
Linux is case sensitive. SHARE is not the same thing as Share in Linux.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.