TV card Problem

Patrick Rafferty

Reaction score
Credits
When I updated from the fedora 28 kernel 4.17.19-200.fc28.x86_64 to the 4.18.5 kernel
my TV card no longer gets a signal from any station.

cx88xx: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetected], frontend(s): 1

Suspect a driver problem in the 4.18.* kernel.

Any suggestions out there.
... Pat ...

Last edited:

Hi @Patrick Rafferty and welcome to linux.org :)

Saw your Thread earlier today and hoped you'd have some input by now :(:)

I know next to nothing about TV cards, so I won't be the one to assist you, but I can ask a few questions that may help others if you can provide the input?

With your Fedora 28 WS (WorkStation), is it the sole OS on that computer or are you booting dual with Windows or one or more Linux?

Reason I ask is I am wondering if you have a Grub Menu at bootup, or if not if you know how to view it?

I am thinking that if we can establish that environment, you could choose one of the other options for Advanced or Recovery to swim back briefly to 4.17.19-200 and see that the card still works? If it does, then you may want to stick with that for a bit, until we can establish if it is 4.18.5 causing the probs, or something else.

I have a Fedora 28 in my stable (I run about 70 LInux typically) so I can perhaps assist in some regard, but I am hoping someone else better suited may join in soon.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz - that's DownUnder

When I updated from the fedora 28 kernel 4.17.19-200.fc28.x86_64 to the 4.18.5 kernel
my TV card no longer gets a signal from any station.

cx88xx: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetected], frontend(s): 1

Suspect a driver problem in the 4.18.* kernel.

Any suggestions out there.
... Pat ...
Hi @Patrick Rafferty and welcome to linux.org :)

Saw your Thread earlier today and hoped you'd have some input by now :(:)

I know next to nothing about TV cards, so I won't be the one to assist you, but I can ask a few questions that may help others if you can provide the input?

With your Fedora 28 WS (WorkStation), is it the sole OS on that computer or are you booting dual with Windows or one or more Linux?

Reason I ask is I am wondering if you have a Grub Menu at bootup, or if not if you know how to view it?

I am thinking that if we can establish that environment, you could choose one of the other options for Advanced or Recovery to swim back briefly to 4.17.19-200 and see that the card still works? If it does, then you may want to stick with that for a bit, until we can establish if it is 4.18.5 causing the probs, or something else.

I have a Fedora 28 in my stable (I run about 70 LInux typically) so I can perhaps assist in some regard, but I am hoping someone else better suited may join in soon.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz - that's DownUnder

Chris, thanks for you input. Fedora 28 is my only system. I am using
grub and I am running on the 4.17.19 kernel until the problem is resolved with the newer 4.18.* kernel(s). I've reported the bug to the folks at RedHat (Bugzilla.redhat.com), but they seem to be working on a lot of them.
... Pat ...

Hi Pat - well that's a good workaround for now, albeit perhaps a PITA :(:)

You obviously have some Linux experience for self-help and that is handy.

I have Fedora on the Toshiba Satellite, but I will likely be putting it on the Dell Inspiron this weekend, so if I go through the transition from 4.17.x to 4.18.x I'll keep my eyes peeled for clues.

For when you have your problem sorted ... have you made the acquaintance yet of Tony George's Timeshift?

You can read my Tute here https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... it goes for a bit of a ramble, but Fedora is one that can make good use of it.

Cheers

Wizard

won't be the one to assist you, but I can ask a few questions that may help others if you can provide the input?

Nina, at this point nothing has changed. I've tested all new kernel updates of fc28 for operation with the pcHDTV HD5500 card. No joy still the same problem. The driver installs but no signal from known stations. The 4.17 kernel continues to function. The best test program, dtvsignal , is
a program that came the card dtv-atsc-tools package. I recompiled the programs several times with the newer GCC and libs. The only issue with the recompile of the tools package is a header include to linux/videodev.h
for which I simply added a linke in /usr/include/linux
ln -s videodev2.h videodev.h

I could just as easy have changed the dtvsignal.c program includes but I wanted to leave the code original.

Still wating for the Red Hat kernel folks to respond to the bug report i filed with bugzilla.redhat.com

The bug filed with bugzilla.redhat.com is
Bug 1629999 No signal from TV card after kernel update

Thanks for that Patrick :)

I have Fedora WS 29 in my stable, I will take a look at what kernel it is using.

@nina22 - Nina, is English your first language? Are you on your meds?

Your Post is simply a copy and paste of previous text and makes no sense.

Wizard

@PatrickRafferty - Thanks so much for your post! I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my pcHDTV HD-5500 card. It had been a while since I had used it but popped it into my Fedora box and it wouldn't tune any channels at all. I thought there was some sort of kernel driver voodoo I was missing...tried blacklisting every combination of kernel driver until I saw your post. The patch linked from your bug report worked beautifully to correct the problem.

Glad I could help Mike. I haven't checked yet to see if the patch
made it into the latest kernel release. I am a little short on
data right now. So I'll have to wait until after the 12th.

Pat

In my troubleshooting (and out of frustration) I updated the whole thing to the latest Fedora 29. I can say the fix wasn't there in 4.20.11-200.fc29.x86_64. Hopefully it got pulled in and will be part of a Fedora release soon.

With the fix in place, I've recorded 12+ hours from antenna with no problems.

Members online

Latest posts