ubuntu 18.04 lts, desktop environment issue ??

andrewysk

Reaction score
Credits
i have ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed. but have installed lxqt myself i think , becuase i was having gnome desktop environment not loading issue after i added 'DASH TO PANEL' gnome extension from browser.

why from "greeter page", i got the desktop environments are different than that i got it from " $gnome-shell --list-modes" ?

my ubuntu currently has these selection on greeter (login page) :

gnome classic
lxqt desktop
ubuntu
ubuntu on wayland
unity (default)

but when i type this in terminal, the list come out a bit differently , like this:
&gnome-shell --list-modes
gdm ??
user ??
ubuntu ??
initial-setup ??
classic ??

what are these ?
i know gdm =gnome desktop manager (which is gnome 3, i think)
what on earth is USER ?
what is ubuntu ? isn't ubuntu uses gnome 3 also ?
ubuntu on wayland (should be gnome but uses wayland instead of traditionally XORG, that means the other UBUNTU above is using XORG as display x server)
initial-setup.. what desktop environment is this ? ? ?
classic.. is this suppose to meant the classic ubuntu desktop manager, which was UNITY (Which uses XORG)_?

pls explain in detail for me, pls, i am still a bit giddy from all these... confusing messing thingS.

thanks in advance,
andrew

While it is possible to have multiple DEs on one Linux install, it can be a problem. I'm not sure what "DASH TO PANEL" is, I think it may be related or maybe even causative of this issue, and your overall issues with Ubuntu.

Recommend you restart with a clean slate (fresh Ubuntu install) and then tackle one problem at a time here in this forum.

if you asked me to reinstall clean, which i did 3 or 4 times already since i have began using linux (within 1 or 2 months). if you ask me to reinstall again.. i would throw my computer down the stair !! lol

really, i have being so much in so short time.. that i won't want to reinstall. becuase i know after i reinstall, it will mess up again. .becuase i am just getting use to linux. .i do a lot of learning and try to get to know it... it sometime messes thing up.. like that gnome extension.. one simple thing and mess up the whole thing. .. and then i will have to reinstall from scratch.. sigh!! :0) u know how tiring and disappointing i felt on it ?

thats why if i would ever reinstall fresh, and i will configure my basic need, such basic gnome extensions, setting, input method for taiwanese.. and if everything still running good, then i will immediately clone it. with clonezilla. i would clone the whole hdd with all 4 partitions on it. lol because i don't know how to do the partition separately.. i came from windows7 os. my windows were on a single partition.. hence i just backup the single partition, restore it: it will boot up fine.

but this linux i have installed in 4 partitions, / , swap , /home , /boot, even /data partition.
i have no idea how to clonezilla ..

While it is possible to have multiple DEs on one Linux install, it can be a problem. I'm not sure what "DASH TO PANEL" is, I think it may be related or maybe even causative of this issue, and your overall issues with Ubuntu.

Recommend you restart with a clean slate (fresh Ubuntu install) and then tackle one problem at a time here in this forum.

u know, i have one laptop from friend that need a new hdd and os installation.

i decided to install ubuntu into the 1tb hdd since i am currently "messing " with ubuntu.
i also made 5 partitions same as above, / , /boot , /home . /swap, /data during ubuntu live usb installation. everything was good, installed good, no issue or what so ever..

but after i unplugged the usb live ubuntu.. the laptop simply said, no bootable os..!!!!

WHAT on earth!! what a disheartening. until now, the laptop still not able to boot.. lol

i am almost gave up on ubuntu.. as i was trying to learn from internet, why my installation not booting up.. that s when my other computer (ubuntu) DE got all sort of problems, such as gparted not running... ubuntu default DE just pink color after i typed in password.... all sort of issue.. as i have posted in this website on another thread. one word i can describe CHAOS!!

now that the DE somehow somewhen self fixed (i suspect it is due to a upgrade or update i just did for no reason)..

my mind is now fulled with ???? ..
a little bit despaired. with linux..

but i don't know why i just like linux.. maybe because i hate windows of how it being targetted by trojan and virus so easily.. and all those run time .. sometime when i went to read info on random webpage.. the cpu fan will kicks on....that's when i felt hmm, my pc is being exploided somehow again.. hence i disbelieve windows os .. but i can't be without windows os, because this ubuntu os keeps giving me new problems to fix.. when i have problem with this i will have to relieve on windows os, at least it is stable enough for me to look for info to fix ubuntu. !!

lol
andrew

A new laptop likely has UEFI firmware. So the install CAN be a bit different. But the first question I have is where did you tell the installer to put the Grub boot files. Since you set up the unusual number of partitions, you likely used the "something else" install option. On the screen where you setup the partitions, there is a question about where to put the Grub files, which defaults to the MBR on the first bootable drive. If your laptop is trying to boot in UEFI mode it may be looking for an ESP partition for the boot files.

Have you explored the firmware for your machine?

Members online