Ubuntu 18.04LTS full - chaos! a lot of customization problem even fr a fresh installation

And, normally a separate /boot partition is not needed and can be a problem.

someone told me /boot partition can't be fat32.. is it ? fat32 is universally supported.. but i can't use fat32 ?

If you are using UEFI there is a /boot/efi partition, this can be vfat.
Note* - This is NOT the /boot partition.

In order for the boot partition to be ...umm.. "bootable". It must be a file system that linux understand natively. There are plenty of applications and modules that get loaded after the kernel is installed that understand vfat and exfat. However we need to kernel to know the filesystem before any of that stuff gets loaded.

Kernel 5.4 and newer has "native" exfat support. Older kernels require external tools, apps and modules in order to do things with these file systems.

Generally ext3, ext4, and xfs are the most common for linux /boot partitions.

Another problem with vfat, is that while the volume itself can be very large ( over a terrabyte I believe)
the files on it cannot be large. Try copying a 8 GB file from a ext hard drive to a 32 GB USB formatted with vfat. It ain't happening.

Finally vfat is not real performance oriented (NTFS is faster). But if you don't care about read/write performance you can use it. Linux's implementation is even slower because it has to get translated through an application.

Members online

Latest posts