Ubuntu 20.04LTS not waking up properly after suspend

victorsnunes

Reaction score
Credits
I have a laptop Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H, using a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile. In the Additional Drivers section, I've tried many versions of the driver (eg: nvidia-driver-470, nvidia-driver-495, etc) and the problem remains the same.

The problem is that after I suspend my laptop and later try to wake it up, the screen remains dark, even though the keys in the keyboard light up.

What is weirder is that I connected a second monitor to my laptop through HDMI cable, and the second monitor lights up. I even put my password in the dark, and the laptop unlocks and I can use the second monitor, and the primary screen of the laptop stays dark. After a closer look, I found out that the primary screen is not completely black, but is just extremely dark.

I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux world, so you guys need more details about my hardware, I can edit the question and give these informations to you. Thanks in advance.

Try this:

press ctrl+alt+f1

Then use these commands in terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Which kernel stack are you using? GA or HWE?

Sometimes issues like this are easily fixed by switching to the other kernel stack (Ubuntu LTS releases offer two stacks; the ISO used to install dictates which is the default)

The GA stack for 20.04 remains on 5.4 for the life of the product; this is seen as the more stable (thus is default for server installs, but newer desktop hardware may require HWE)

The HWE stack used 5.8 at 20.04.2, 5.11 at 20.04.3, and switches to 5.13 at 20.04.4 (ie. soon), ie. it upgrades to stacks from the non-LTS releases; 20.04.2 is the stack from 20.10, 20.04.3 the stack from 21.04 etc before finally reaching stable at 20.04.5 using the GA stack from 22.04). With HWE stack being used the upgrade level matters (ie. 20.04.2-20.04.5 reflect different kernels being used)

ie. a `uname -r` will show what kernel you're using; if it's GA it'll be a 5.4 kernel, if it's....

(with non-proprietary drivers installed you can have both stacks installed & select which you use at boot time (ie. `grub`), but some proprietary driver packages can prevent two stacks co-existing on the same system; the more closed-source or 3rd party you've installed the less easy this will be)

I know nothing about your hardware, and suggest this mostly as it's a quick & easy fix for many such issues.

I can edit the question and give these informations to you.

@victorsnunes welcome to linux.org :)

Just on that point don't edit, add it in a new Post. People can miss additional information that is the result of an edit.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Staff online