Ubuntu (and official flavors) new LTS (22.04) is scheduled for release tomorrow!

I'll wait a bit and graze the Lubuntu forums before I install.

It should be fairly free of bugs, though pretty much everything has bugs. I'm just a slacker. I didn't upgrade from 18.04 until pretty much the last minute.

What's new in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Ubuntu 22.04 GNOME review:

Ubuntu 22.04 flavors review

I tested a few of these flavors on live USB. From my testing, Firefox is available as a snap by default on other Ubuntu flavors including Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I am planning to install them on the hard disk, but I need more time to backup my files first.

As a user, I use whatever I want. I'll see how it goes on SSD.

Last edited:
Firefox is available as a snap by default on other Ubuntu flavors including Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

That is correct and easily changed in a couple of ways if you decide you would prefer a more traditional installation method - but the Snap version will likely be more frequently and more rapidly upgraded to new versions as I'm pretty sure Mozilla is taking care of that themselves.

There are a couple of bugs with Firefox and Snap, but we've been told that they're working hard at resolving those bugs. A few plugins don't work, such as one of them that lets you download videos - whose name I've forgotten.

I never could get Lubuntu 22.04 to install so were already off to an unimpressive bad start. :confused:

I'd get almost through the install and then it stopped and displayed error occurred and that was it. :mad:

Tried 2 different times with 2 different iso downloads and bootable usb media no success I'm done wasting my time.

Used ddcopy and etcher to create bootable usb media.

Downloaded the iso from the official Lubuntu website.

Ubuntu 22.04 installed and works without problems however just ain't impressed.

I believe my days with Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavors and Ubuntu base distros have reached the end. :(

Nope.

Do I just report this.

I'd get almost through the install and then it stopped and displayed error occurred and that was it.

I don't mind filing an error report.

I need a link.

Oh, no... No, it's much more complicated than that. Or, more accurately, it looks much more complicated than that. This is a good chance for me to explain a little bit about the bug reporting with the Ubuntu family, so I'll do that too.

If that's too onerous, you could stop in at https://discourse.lubuntu.me and just leave a comment to that effect. If it's a bug we can reproduce, one of us will take the initiative to file it as such. We're much more fluent in the bug reporting system.

But...

Ideally, you'd get the error during the installation and then run the bug report. I'd consider it an installer issue, without additional information. So, you'd file it against calamares. So, you'd boot to the live instance, make it throw the error, and then file the bug - which would automatically dump all the data needed for the devs to see (without any personal information attached).

It's actually not all that hard. You can even include screenshots as attachments. If you have a Launchpad account, it's faster. Though I suspect you can file the report anonymously - but I've never tried that.

It only looks onerous, but you'd actually be just running this command in the terminal:

Code:
ubuntu-bug calamares

Then you follow a prompt or two and you should get a URL where you can finish filing the bug online with the default browser. 'Snot really as hard as it looks, but new people tend to see it and get overwhelmed.

It didn't offer any option to file an incident report after it displayed error occurred it stopped locked up tighter than dicks hat band.

I had to a hard power off with the power button on the front panel of the desktop.

I'm kinda wondering if it could have been a lockup caused from the Nvidia graphics card.

In the olden days I've had problems with installing Lubuntu because of Nvidia graphics cards and had to use nomodset it get it to install.

I'm gonna give it another try again as I was POed yesterday just having a bad Linux day.

Another problem may be that my Nvidia graphics cards might just be to old for the kernel.

I'll have to drag out a desktop with Intel graphics adapter and see if Lubuntu installs on it.

It doesn't always, that's why you have to run the 'ubuntu-bug <app>' from the terminal. If it freezes and won't let you, you just file it by hand - or just mention it on the forum (discourse) and see what they have to say.

Hmm... You could try nomodeset. Though that usually cures black screens.

Are you doing anything different than a default installation? Are you partitioning? Are you just using Ext4?

'Cause this was intensely tested - including on older hardware and Frankenstein boxes galore. From what I can tell, this is one of the most heavily tested releases for a while. I personally tested it hundreds of times, but not on old hardware. That wasn't me that tested on old stuff. But, the installer was heavily tested.

For the record, I do the live testing and not the installation tests. :D

Okay 3rd attempt.
Download a new iso from the official Lubuntu website.
Created a bootable DVD using Xfburn.
Booted from splash screen using safe graphics mode.

The errors.
Failed to start Thermal Daemon Service.
Failed to Start Modem Manager.
Failed to Start Disk Manager.
Failed to Start Snap Daemon.

That's it screen goes blank and again I had to hard power off with the power button on the front panel of the desktop.

So I don't know and seems it's going to be a PITA to get this to work.
I'll try on a different desktop with Intel graphics and see what happens.

First two try's are all done automatically with the oem installer just as always.

I know I'm off topic so if you want to move my posts and other posts pertaining to this issue feel free to do so.

My apologies for going off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's insane. I'd definitely make a post (saying just that) on the Discourse site. Something is broken somewhere. You can skip a bug report, as this should be enough information to get someone's attention.

It's above my pay grade.

Here's Ubuntu 22.04 running as Live usb flash drive on the desktop which Lubuntu won't work on so I believe it isn't the desktop.
I don't understand why this works and Lubuntu doesn't I'm confused. :confused:

Ubuntu 22.04 runs well just as a live usb and even the snap Firefox runs good not slow at opening at all.
1650843448158.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this one is well above my pay grade. Lubuntu uses a different installer than Ubuntu - so there's that.

I mean, you could install Ubuntu and then turn it into Lubuntu, but that seems a bit excessive when there could be a simple bug fix that resolves this. All I can suggest is waiting and seeing. (And glad that I'm the *live* tester!)

Here's Ubuntu 20.04 running as Live usb flash drive on the desktop which Lubuntu won't work on so I believe it isn't the desktop.
I don't understand why this works and Lubuntu doesn't I'm confused. :confused:

Ubuntu 20.04 runs well just as a live usb and even the snap Firefox runs good not slow at opening at all.
View attachment 12405

Lubuntu media does not come with closed-source proprietary drivers which main Ubuntu (and most flavors do), so with Lubuntu you're using `nouveau` (the open source nvidia driver), which may account for differences between Lubuntu and main Ubuntu or other flavors.

Main Ubuntu also include OEM kernels on their media, so if your machine is detected as benefiting from another kernel, the default kernel will be replaced by an OEM kernel; where Lubuntu does not include any on media, those need to be installed post-install with Lubuntu.

If I have issues with a Ubuntu install; I usually do the following

- switch to text terminal & explore there for any clues (`dmesg` and `journalctl` for starters)
- quick `ls /var/crash/` to see if something crashed & left clues there
- I always scan for squashfs or installation media issues; which on recent releases includes a search for "Check finished:" or the end of the installation media scan (`journalctl`)

I'm very glad you had success though (*wish it hadn't taken many tries though!*)

Thank you for reporting your issue on the Lubuntu forum/discourse. :)

Huh... I see it was merged with another thread, meaning the causes are likely similar. (I have no idea what'd be causing this.) So, yeah, thanks again - as your post seemingly provided confirmation. Had they not merged them, I'd have not been aware that they were the same thing.

I dragged out an all Intel desktop and used the created DVD and posted the results on the Lubuntu discourse forum.

Okay I said I’d drag a desktop out and run my bootable DVD of Lubuntu 22.04 and here’s the results.

Desktop is all Intel inside.
Always have excellent results with all Intel inside desktops.

Okay DVD install kinda slow but not painful.
Start to finish 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

The errors.
Failed to start Dispatcher daemon for systemd-networkd.
Failed to start Snap Daemon.
Failed to start Disk Manager.
Failed to start Snap Daemon.

Okay no lockups or blank screen and the cursor was showing activity so let it keep running.

I let the installer do the install after I entered the needed name rank and serial number.

Install completed after a system reboot I updated and rebooted and all is working well.

Hope this helps.

Hmm... Does this mean you may have been too impatient for the earlier tries?

I'm not sure what to make of it, is why I ask.

Not this testing cycle, but one of the earlier versions that I tested, one of the days took like eight or ten minutes just to get to the initial selection screen. It was just that once and the following day the new .iso did not do the same thing.

Not that that has a darned thing to do with the subject at hand, it was just a weird time where it took forever.

I tried everything. I downloaded again. I rebooted a dozen times. I even tried a second computer. After like an hour, I just let it sit there and it eventually loaded. I felt pretty silly as I'd spent a good hour trying to make it boot when all I had to do was wait. (In my defense, I don't have much in the way of older hardware, so waiting that long was rather unexpected.)

Either way, thanks for putting the effort in to make Lubuntu better.

Huh... I see it was merged with another thread, meaning the causes are likely similar. (I have no idea what'd be causing this.) So, yeah, thanks again - as your post seemingly provided confirmation. Had they not merged them, I'd have not been aware that they were the same thing.
Mostly FYI.. but it was me that merged them (and removed the word 'severe' from the title of the other one) as to me they were the same issue.

As always, if you disagree with any decision made, please yell out & we'll (or I'll where it was me) re-think it.

Lubuntu (along with all flavors) uses the same Ubuntu infrastructure that Ubuntu uses to generate its ISOs (the cron job just starts all at different times), thus we are somewhat limited to what they do. We are considered of course.

From those that allow stats to be uploaded (at install), we know almost no-one uses CD/DVD for installs (most not having hardware that includes a drive), thus it's not a priority. I suspect it's less of one since the last % of users using CD/DVD drives I saw was for focal or 20.04.

Ubuntu has a specific amount of resources (volunteer/community + some paid by Canonical) and much of that effort gets directed to where it'll help the most people. Volunteers are welcome to decide where they want to spend their efforts, but almost no-one tests using CD/DVD, and the testing that matters most is pre-release as fixes are easier to implement where SRU's are not required (stable release updates; on released/frozen products more work is required to prove the fixes are well tested & won't negatively impact existing users). Fixes now will likely go into 22.10/kk (omg says it's kinetic but I've not seen the bug report to confirm it)

They look similar enough to me to warrant merging them, so all good in that department. This one is above my pay grade, I think. I can't imagine what the cause might be, nor would I have a solution. 'Snot something I know, and I'm okay with admitting that.

From those that allow stats to be uploaded (at install), we know almost no-one uses CD/DVD for installs (most not having hardware that includes a drive), thus it's not a priority. I suspect it's less of one since the last % of users using CD/DVD drives I saw was for focal or 20.04.

Now that I didn't know, but doesn't surprise me as much as I thought it would. Though, I'd have figured many Linux users were desktop system users - with the tower and optical drive(s). But, yeah... I haven't purchased anything with optical media in a while. I do have a couple of tower systems that get some use, but I use one of the laptops more often than not. But...

Even then, I guess that doesn't mean they don't have optical drives - it just means they're using USB drives to install them. I can't think of the last time I bothered burning a DVD to install in a long, long time. In fact, I haven't burned a DVD in ages.

Staff online