Ubuntu Desktop Resetting Every Reboot

Morning all - that link above is what I have been waiting for :)

But why the

lubuntu-desktop

?

Did you not follow the commands for Xfce

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install xfce4 xfce4-goodies xorg dbus-x11 x11-xserver-utils

?

Wiz
Hi,

I have gone from version 18 to 20 and back and forth many times...

These are these two links for each version

Right now I am back on version 18 and this time I don't believe I installed xfce3, I tried using the 20 ubuntu instructions (I have tried them both so many times).

Is sudo apt install xfce4 xfce4-goodies xorg dbus-x11 x11-xserver-utils something I can type now without having to restart all over again now there is a swap drive or will that just cause more problems?

Maybe I should start again with a swap drive and see if things work properly?

I am unable to use Windows for anything - but I think I can now make a guess as to at least part of the problem.

When you're logging in with XRDP you're likely logging in as a guest/user without much in the way of permissions. That explains the resetting to default conditions.
Can I simply make the XRDP user have regular permissions? To me this logic seems ok, until I think that "well, then how did it write the file in the original place?"

I think i'm going to try starting all over again and creating the swap drive and seeing if that fixes things. I might have to wait until tomorrow , i'm rebooted out for the day LOL

My focus is defiantly "least amount of ram as possible " to save money for this project..

I'm pretty sure I stuck with the lubuntu-desktop, because both were giving me the same problems - yet the lubuntu-desktop used 80% less cpu.

Basically, the other installation I was maxing out 2 CPU's by just logging in and wasn't able to really even move the mouse.. Maybe because of no swap drive? I will test again and post my results here as soon as I can.

Last edited:
XRDP (terminal services)
On file /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini add address=0.0.0.0 which is the default XRDP address.
Also you have to permit firewall to listen to connections on port 3389 that XRDP is working on. For this run
Code:
sudo ufw allow 3389

I believe XRDP uses port 3389

Is sudo apt install xfce4 xfce4-goodies xorg dbus-x11 x11-xserver-utils something I can type now

No, you'd have to remove lubuntu-desktop first

Code:
sudo apt-get purge lubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get autoremove

Reboot and then run the xfce install.

I believe XRDP uses port 3389

It does, but Your Lordship, he needs to be able to get his desktop to save first, really.

It might be better to begin with Xubuntu, which already has the Xfce components installed, and then go from there?

BTW your Expirion is based on Xubuntu, is it not? Are you able to simulate?

Wiz, gotta go for a bit.

Can I simply make the XRDP user have regular permissions?

I'm not really sure, as I've never found a reason to use XRDP. Consult the man page, I guess. I have no idea how Google works, as I've not had time to get there, so make sure you actually have a user on the system and ensure you're logging in/working as that user.

But, that'd explain why you have to redo everything when you reboot. Yes, yes it would...

I'm not sure what desktop environment you're after. So, I'll leave that to Wiz - he's gotcha covered there. I'm not sure that it'd matter which desktop you're using - so long as you've got Xorg in the mix (that's the X in XRDP).

No, you'd have to remove lubuntu-desktop first

Code:
sudo apt-get purge lubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get autoremove

Reboot and then run the xfce install.

It does, but Your Lordship, he needs to be able to get his desktop to save first, really.

It might be better to begin with Xubuntu, which already has the Xfce components installed, and then go from there?

BTW your Expirion is based on Xubuntu, is it not? Are you able to simulate?

Wiz, gotta go for a bit.
Yep guess need to straighten out desktop first the monkey with XDRP
Expirion based on Debian 11 stable now and has XFCE, Cinnamon and KDE Plasma - uses XanMod Kernels LTS for XFCE and Cinnamon which is 5.15.53 and KDE Plasma uses XanMod stable which is 5.18.10
No I cannot replicate it

One thing I haven't seen tried yet is try creating a new user to see what happens then? Also I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 using xrdp to connect to my system at work and I'm not running into this problem.

Members online