Ubuntu doesnt install

sean536

Reaction score
Credits
My laptop is lenovo g580 with win7. I want to install ubuntu 15.10 on it, dual boot with windows. I disabled uefi in bios. Installation goes, but then sometimes a message installer crashed, or no such message, but it doesnt install. What ubuntu version should i choose for this laptop? What is the reason it doesnt install, because it doesnt support this hardware? I guess the latest version would not work on it.

Last edited:

How do i choose os for laptop, should i choose os around from the same year, laptop was manufactured? Will there be the same problems as in windows - skype wont connect, internet browser wont open pages, no video and so on? Or in ubuntu i can take old os and do updates of browser inside it? For how many years ahead will that system last? For example i can use windows xp, i have all software for it, but it will be a pc without internet, skype.

Last edited:
15.10 reached the end of its life July 26 2016.

Your computer will take a maximum of 8Gb of RAM. How much have you got?

You should install the latest LTS (Long Term Support) version. either 18.04 LTS or be an early adopter of 20.04 LTS.

If you are looking for something lighter look at Lubuntu - a member of the Ubuntu family.

15.10 reached the end of its life July 26 2016.

Your computer will take a maximum of 8Gb of RAM. How much have you got?

You should install the latest LTS (Long Term Support) version. either 18.04 LTS or be an early adopter of 20.04 LTS.
It shouldnt work on old pc. Can i install windows 10 on acer extensa from 2009? No, it wont install, the same should be true here. Manufacturers want antique hardware to go to garbage. So i think it should be old system from 2014 (the year of laptop), but with internet browser with support for that version.

I'm writing this on a laptop which was issues on 15 July 2008... :rolleyes:

I have recently updated and upgraded an "old" computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had many attempts and many failures, but eventually succeeded. The answer in my case was to remove all antivirus programs. https://www.groovypost.com/howto/what-to-do-windows-10-upgrade-fails/

I run Linux on computers from 2006 without problems.
Code:
thomas@hp-pavilion:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: hp-pavilion Kernel: 4.19.0-8-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0
           Desktop: LXQt 0.14.1 Distro: SparkyLinux 5.11 (Nibiru) base: Debian buster/sid
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP Pavilion 061 product: RF170AV-ABA d4650y v: 0qm1114CT101BASSW00
           serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ASUSTek model: Basswood v: 1.05 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 3.08 date: 09/18/2006
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 6400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: 6
           L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 8532
           Speed: 1600 MHz min/max: 1600/2133 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: 1152x720~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NV46 v: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-8-amd64
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82562V 10/100 Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: ff00
           bus ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 4.98 GiB (4.5%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1200JD-00HBB0 size: 111.79 GiB
RAID:      Hardware-1: Intel SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci v: 3.0 bus ID: 00:1f.2                   
Partition: ID-1: / size: 109.53 GiB used: 4.98 GiB (4.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1                              
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 51 C                                  
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A                                                                               
Info:      Processes: 146 Uptime: 1h 18m Memory: 3.85 GiB used: 781.6 MiB (19.8%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5    
           Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.32                                             
thomas@hp-pavilion:~$
PEBCAK. o_O

installed 14.04. after installation had to do boot repair, because without it it boots windows straight. after boot repair there is boot menu, when i choose ubuntu it writes something ... no such file or directory and that's it, nothing happens. what is wrong with my pc?

I'm writing this on a laptop which was issues on 15 July 2008... :rolleyes:

I have recently updated and upgraded an "old" computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had many attempts and many failures, but eventually succeeded. The answer in my case was to remove all antivirus programs. https://www.groovypost.com/howto/what-to-do-windows-10-upgrade-fails/
A bit of an offtopic here but do you realize what this means? That Windows 10 is a virus!
toothy12.gif
evil6.gif

lenovo g580 is 64 bit. finally 12.04 32 bit got installed. what is the problem with those two versions?
another question. i read that uc browser supports xp. is it possible to install in xp the latest version of that browser or it would be some old version?
in ubuntu 12.04 for example the newest versions of browsers to chich you can update are still old, so some time later they will stop working.

installed 14.04. after installation had to do boot repair, because without it it boots windows straight. after boot repair there is boot menu, when i choose ubuntu it writes something ... no such file or directory and that's it, nothing happens. what is wrong with it?

What kind of computer? Laptop or desktop? How old? 32 bit or 64 bit? Sounds to me like the bios isn't seeing the grub boot loader. Older machines need to boot up in Legacy mode. I would check the bios settings and make sure the Legacy box is checked first.

I had a Lenovo Laptop G530-444624U for years. Pentium T3400 @ 2.14 GHz, I believe.

Until I upped the RAM, 32bit was all I could run on it and be happy with the performance.

Put 4GB RAM and a Samsung SSD in it and was happy with it, thereafter.

Best running distro with only 3GB RAM was antiX. Second was a lubuntu minimal install.

Suggestion: get rid of Windows altogether by getting a cheap good SSD and install one of either said distros on it.

Another work around, if the bios supports usb booting, leave windows installed in the hdd and install Ubuntu on a usb hdd. I have a Dell Precision and that's how I am running. I actually couldn't be happier doing it this way. I have 1 TB internal hdd running Windows 10 pro and a 2 TB external hdd running Ubuntu 18.04. Plenty of storage with the best of both worlds, and no bios issues with dual booting using UEFI or Legacy.

Downloaded the latest lubuntu. No option for live session when boot from usb. When i start it no desktop, just text, asking to enter login, password; then nothing happens.

If your Precision (what model?) has nVidia, edit the boot at the kernel line (begins 'linux'), adding 'nomodset' and see if GUI pops up

I press shift nothing happens, now its dual boot lubuntu, xp. Can i install antix without problems on this machine or it will be the same?

I press shift nothing happens, now its dual boot lubuntu, xp. Can i install antix without problems on this machine or it will be the same?
You can try installing anti-x and see what happens.

Each installer is different.

You could try running anti-x in a virtual machine first to see how it acts on your laptop first.