Ubuntu fresh installation

According to these guys, the bottleneck is the CPU --
Core i5-760 and GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - General Tasks - 1920 × 1080 (FHD (1080p))

Funny what one discovers with a little persistence on a search engine!

But the same will most likely hold with your CPU and GPU -- just two steops down in the performance category.

With lubuntu, one has a dev on-hand to help -- our moderator.
Hmm.

That's wild I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.4 on a Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.9GHz) processor and Intel integrated graphics without any lagging video at all.

I'd pull the Nvidia graphics card out and and do a new install using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 that is incorporated in the processor.

Last edited by a moderator:

@Emperion23

you have a similar processor as me [yours is 0.2gh faster] I have to agree with @Bartman in that if you're not gaming or running a lot of photo/film rendering applications, to use the on chip intel graphics, they are no problems whatsoever for daily computing

@Bartman I too have done a little digging on the Nvidia help site, seems this particular gpu has been problems from day one, I found a post where someone was having problems with it on Linux, The official reply was basically we don't support Linux go to [and a site address that would not work for me], The next comment was just one line " well it hasn't worked for over 10 yrs, they won’t fix it now"

@Brickwizard

I've always had good results with ATI and Intel graphics with Linux and Windows.

The processor graphics I have Intel and AMD always work great with Linux.

I stay away from Nvidia products now days.

I've read where the GTX 1050 Ti comes stock, 2GB OC and 4GB OC -- which? ; users say not to run it on KDE, so Gnome would be an unnecessary draw on resources, as well (as @Bartman suggests); someone running Manjaro says in their forum that Nouveau runs better than proprietary driver with this GPU and on this distro. So, there may be a few variables to work out, it would seem.

Was the card ever overclocked?

Since it's a fresh install and OP wants a 'buntu, get rid of ubuntu in favor of lubuntu 20.04 alternate (can even do a minimal install if wanted and go with a WM) and see if this is a significant improvement or not; and use Nouveau driver, at first. Lower your resolution a little to get frame rates up (xrandr). When and if proprietary driver is installed, use the version 375.20 and see if it makes any difference (after first using the Nouveau driver) because the latest does not always mean the greatest, IME.

Just suggestions from an old GIS Tech regarding video. And wishing you success!
Recently bought a new MSI Aegis SE 10SI 231US with Core i5… will this work for Ubuntu how do install? I want the fastest computer in the country to get me through my video games and school and want all the bells and whistles

Can't say. Drivers for Linux oftentimes lag behind those for the other two OSs

Members online

Latest posts