Ubuntu Linux Newbie -- drive mount/mapping problem.

Monte1022

Reaction score
Credits
Ok, I just started running into this problem recently.

I have no idea where to start here. I have an Ubuntu Linux machine with two HDDs in it. It's a newer Linux version (19, I think, I'll have to look) The primary drive works fine, but I have one named ThreeT (for Three Terabyte).

I have (or had, anyway) this drive "shared out" to my Windows network. In other words, I could go to my file explorer in Windows and type in \\mylinuxmachine\ThreeT and get access to the files. The problem is, for some reason, I can no longer access it via my Windows network. And when I go to my Linux file explorer (whatever it's called, I forget) I can see the drive (labeled ThreeT, as above), but when I click on it to access it, the tab name shows "ThreeT1" (a 1 is appended). I can access the files there, but only on my Linux computer, not from my Windows one.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm hoping that the drive isn't becoming corrupted or something.

make sure ntfs-3g is installled

make sure ntfs-3g is installled
I will look into that, but I don't think that's the problem. The problem is on the Linux machine itself. If I open the File Manager on my Linux machine, under Devices I see my drive (named ThreeT). When I click on it, in Linux, the path shows as /media/<user>/ThreeT1

It used to not do that in Linux. And I think that's why I can no longer access it from my Windows machine. And I'm trying to fix it so I can share it back out.

With it mounting to /media/<user>/ThreeT1, then it's very likely that the drive is not being mounted by fstab upon boot. Also, if access to the drive (beyond just seeing it) is a problem, then it's very likely a permissions issue.

First question, what filesystem is being used on ThreeT1?

With it mounting to /media/<user>/ThreeT1, then it's very likely that the drive is not being mounted by fstab upon boot. Also, if access to the drive (beyond just seeing it) is a problem, then it's very likely a permissions issue.

First question, what filesystem is being used on ThreeT1?

Thanks for your reply. I don't recall what filesystem I'm using. But I do think it's Windows compatible, because when it was named ThreeT I could access it just fine.

The question is, how can I fix it? How do I open fstab and look?

And why is it showing up in the file manager as ThreeT, then when I click on it the tab shows ThreeT1?

In my experience if ThreeT is showing up as ThreeT1, it is because ThreeT was not shut down/closed properly in some previous session. I would suggest, when you have the ThreeT1 situation showing, opening a terminal and executing this:
Code:
ls -al /media/<user>
and post the results here.

Here are the results:

total 20
drwxr-x---+ 5 root root 4096 Jun 25 08:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 8 2019 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 May 17 13:34 disk
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 May 17 13:33 ThreeT
drwxr-xr-x 7 <user> sambashare 4096 April 11 12:00 ThreeT1

drwxr-xr-x 7 <user> sambashare 4096 April 11 12:00 ThreeT1
Oooh... "sambashare"....
Dedoimedo has had quite a lot to say on his blog regarding sambashares. Most of the posts are a little 'dated' but may be worth checking out. It does seem a little 'odd' that the problem "recently" appeared. If that is the case I may suspect some recent update.

I'm still not sure how to fix this issue. Is there something I need to change in Samba? I've tried rebooting (several times) to no avail. So that obviously isn't the fix.

Members online