Ubuntu on Mac Mini won't wake from suspend

porcupine

Reaction score
Credits
I'm pretty new to Linux but am running Ubuntu successfully on an old Thinkpad and also in a partition on my new Chromebook. Recently I decided to repurpose a late-2014 Mac Mini to run Ubuntu (20.04). I set it up as a dual boot, and it now defaults to the Ubuntu install. It runs like a champ. However, if it suspends or sleeps, I can't wake it from the keyboard or the mouse. I was intitially trying to accomplish this via a KVM switch, which I've used for a few years to flip between my PC and the Mac on a shared monitor. But it wasn't waking the Linux-Mini. To troubleshoot, I've removed the KVM and am working directly with a wired keyboard and mouse on the Mini, and it still won't wake up from suspend or sleep.

I've searched a lot online and have tried a few things, mostly the suggestions in this thread at askubuntu.com.

But I can't get it to work. i.e., Mini still won't wake from suspend.

I am deeply ignorant of most things Linux (though I'm learning), particularly how Linux interacts with and controls hardware like USB connections, etc. Any hints on new ways to approach this problem or solutions to try would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm... I have a kinda silly question.

When you installed Linux, you probably (as it's a Mac) needed to add 'nomodeset' as a boot parameter. Did you add anything else along those lines, such as anything changing ACPI?

Honestly, I don't remember seeing that term--"nomodeset." I followed a process like the one here. I don't know what ACPI is, but I don't remember seeing that either.

Hmm... Nope, then it's not the direction I was thinking it might be - probably. Carry on...

Thanks. I've poked at the power settings a bit but will give them another look. They seem pretty basic but maybe I missed something.

Members online

Latest posts