Ubuntu or Mint ???

laooo

Reaction score
Credits
hi Linux friends, I'm new to linux and I'm hesitating a lot between two "Ubuntu or MINT" distros on a very powerful machine I've just bought, it's become an existential question I'd love for you to bring me your opinion but above all with objective arguments. I watched X videos on the subject, read a lot of articles and I have even more questions now lol. Basically I have the impression that everything will be easier for me on Mint and that it has much more stability than ubuntu, but on the other hand I have the impression that ubuntu is much more powerful, mainly with this PC I would do data Scripting python, and Bash and a little video editing, Also I noticed quite a bit that ubuntu users with serious problems with the drivers of their cam etc, while the mint forums the guys were living the good life. Please help me lol this is psychological torture. Thanks folks :]

Last edited:

As I have said on your other question, English please.

If you take off the clothes, then Ubuntu and Mint are the same [Mint is based on Ubuntu] my analogy is that Ubuntu is in working clothes and mint is dressed in Sunday best,
your problems may not be the minor differences between the two, but in your choice of Kit, machines under a year old, with the latest components can have driver availability problems [it can take the boys and girls who write the Linux drivers up to a year to back engineer them]
In my opinion, try both "live" from a pendrive, to see which works best on your machine, but also try MX-Linux 64 bit - AHS
as this offering has a wider selection of latest drivers included.
Sorry to have been a bit blunt with you, but our members are spread across all continents and time zones, some of us speak or at least understand one or more other tongs, we all to some extent speak English.

If you take off the clothes, then Ubuntu and Mint are the same [Mint is based on Ubuntu] my analogy is that Ubuntu is in working clothes and mint is dressed in Sunday best,
your problems may not be the minor differences between the two, but in your choice of Kit, machines under a year old, with the latest components can have driver availability problems [it can take the boys and girls who write the Linux drivers up to a year to back engineer them]
In my opinion, try both "live" from a pendrive, to see which works best on your machine, but also try MX-Linux 64 bit - AHS
Sorry to have been a bit blunt with you, but our members are spread across all continents and time zones, some of us speak or at least understand one or more other tongs, we all to some extent speak English.
What Brickwizard says.

Distrowatch has a decent 'distro chooser' based on user-based preferences that easily shows the numerous distributuons based on Ubunbtu here. They inherit pros and cons from their parent.

Distros based on Debian, here.

I would suggest working out which distro to use on a machine that is not resource-limited from these two Linux parent families. Since you have narrowed it down to two brothers (ubuntu and mint), why not try out a Debian-based distro, like MX? Debian is where ubuntu arose and later separated to become its own 'family' of distros.

Desktop environments (DEs) are the eye candy user sees and, as @Brickwizard alluded, set the appearance, not the performance on such an apparent machine as yours.

Last edited:
Here are a couple views. Personally have used both Distros since their inception and Find Mint to my liking. Both are good.
It really boils down to personal preferences. I don't like snaps. And have never cared for the new Gnome Old one was ok and mate sort of takes it's place.) I like Cinnamon. As far as getting things done they are about equal. Conical at times make choices I don't like , Mint seems to smooth them out Like not jumping on Snap packaging. And When they tried Unity Mint didn't jump on that either. Ubuntu has a history abandoning things they have started. You wanted opinions there are a few of mine.

But as I said in the end it will boil down to person /hardware choice. Enjoy and do as others have said try them both in live usb environment see which one suits.

Last edited:
Here are a couple views. Personally have used both Distros since their inception and Find Mint to my liking. Both are good.
It really boils down to personal preferences. I don't like snaps. And have never cared for the new Gnome Old one was ok and mate sort of takes it's place.) I like Cinnamon. As far as getting things done they are about equal. Conical at time make choice I don't like , Mint seems to smooth them out Like not jumping on Snap packaging. And When they tried Unity Mint didn't jump on that either. Ubuntu has a history abandoning things they have started. You wanted opinions there are a few of mine.

But as I said in the end it will boil down to person /hardware choice. Enjoy and do as others have said try the both in live usb environment see which one suits.
This is a very good answers you know very well this subject thank you so much

Thank you so much

Keep in mind that Ubuntu has many flavors. You can easily tailor it to your preferences simply by starting with an official flavor. The following may also interest you, though it will not directly answer your question:

I would choose Linux Mint every time...it very user friendly and solid as a rock.
happy0035.gif

As for Ubuntu...I wont use it because Canonical...the makers of Ubuntu are in bed with microsuck.
mad0016.gif

As a matter of fact...Canonical was microsucks partner of the year...
https://ubuntu.com/blog/canonical-recognized-as-a-2021-microsoft-partner-of-the-year-finalist
So I think the choice is very clear...don't you.
anim_64.gif

Members online