Ubuntu PPTP VPN portforwarding

Paulies

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I have a simple server at home running virtualmin and all is great the only problem is my isp ip keeps changing, so I decided to by a vpn with dedicated ip with portforwarding so now here is where my problems starts.

What I am wanting to do is
Connect my server to the vpn all ports open at vpn side (Done)
Change my dns to match dedicated IP (Done)

What I cant figure out with hours of googling is how to forward the ports internally the forwarded ports from my vpn reach my server but I believe the firewall is blocking itgoing any further, so does anyone know how to forward from my pptp connection so the ports work and my site can be accessed.

I have uncommented things like ipv4.ip_forward=1
and added some ufw (iptables rules) but nothing seems to work

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

One quick and dirty thing you could do is to temporarily disable your firewall and see if the problems go away. As far as reaching your server it would be helpful if you could provide a bit more about your network topology...

It sounds more like you're looking for a dynamic DNS solution, of which there are many - with quite a few of them perfectly usable for free.

Stuff like 'DynDNS' and 'No-IP' are two of the more popular solutions.

They give you an address, you run a small piece of software on your box, the software lets them know when your public IP address has changed and update it, the address they gave you points to the new IP. You use that address as needed, such as a redirect or cloaking.

They're nothing new. I used one when I ran an OpenNAP server 2+ decades ago. Heck, your ISP supplied router might even have one of those two company's software built right in. I've seen that a few times.

Members online

Latest posts