Ubuntu Pre-Installed Notebooks

Dave1369

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I live in the UK. I think I would prefer to buy a notebook with ubuntu pre-installed than install it myself. What cheap notebooks are there which already have ubuntu pre-installed. I don't want to do any of the installation myself. I want something under £200.

Better to do the installation yourself, as you may need to do it again in the future.

Very few laptops come with linux, if you want an all singing/all dancing one then the best is the system 76 laptop with its own os [pop] which you will probably have to import and it will be getting on for 2 grand, , you would be far better off purchasing a good pre-used/reconditioned lappy off the internet and installing a suitable OS, yourself, takes around 20 mins on average
something like this should give years of use on a linux distro

In addition.. this is the cheapest pre loaded new product i could find just a couple of quid under your £200 budget, BUT compared to the second hand dell [above] its specification is very poor

ASUS Eee PC 1000H-BLK019L Netbook, Linux Preloaded,​

Hi,

I live in the UK. I think I would prefer to buy a notebook with ubuntu pre-installed than install it myself. What cheap notebooks are there which already have ubuntu pre-installed. I don't want to do any of the installation myself. I want something under £200.
At that price point I doubt you'll find anything pre installed. But for a list pre-loaded see here.

Last edited:
Even when I used Windows, I always re-installed the OS and did it myself.

You never know what crap someone else added, so a clean sheet was what I preferred - as much as possible, at any rate.

Very few laptops come with linux, if you want an all singing/all dancing one then the best is the system 76 laptop with its own os [pop] which you will probably have to import and it will be getting on for 2 grand, , you would be far better off purchasing a good pre-used/reconditioned lappy off the internet and installing a suitable OS, yourself, takes around 20 mins on average
something like this should give years of use on a linux distro
@brickwizard I recently built a desktop for the wife with Linux (Ubuntu) and its awesome. We are both Mac people (or I should say were). My Mac is about 7 years old and I am looking for something good that I can run Linux on. I currently use my laptop for all kinds of things to include running multiple VMs for cyber security courses in college. While the System 76's are great, very pricy, could you recommend something that would be able to handle the multiple VMs and normal browsing, videos, etc. I would like to stay around the 250-300 (USD) price point, any recommendations? I found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitud...,B081721LTM,B079JBV68W&srpt=NOTEBOOK_COMPUTER

Thanks anyone for input.

I recently built a desktop for the wife with Linux
yes I remember a couple of weeks back, a gaming machine but to render graphics,
I don't use VM's myself [i have a stack or harddrive to boot from when testing]
the E7250 is not a bad bit of kit but with a 12 inch screen could become tiring using it for 8 hrs a day
I assume you only have one VM open at a time [you can install as many as you like] so it would not be a problem for that spec of machine

Addendum..
the E7250 is more powerful than your mac because it is designed for Windows which is more resource hungry

Last edited:
yes I remember a couple of weeks back, a gaming machine but to render graphics,
I don't use VM's myself [i have a stack or harddrive to boot from when testing]
the E7250 is not a bad bit of kit but with a 12 inch screen could become tiring using it for 8 hrs a day
I assume you only have one VM open at a time [you can install as many as you like] so it would not be a problem for that spec of machine

Addendum..
the E7250 is more powerful than your mac because it is designed for Windows which is more resource hungry
Yes sir, great the more I learn about Linux the more I really enjoy it. Do you recomend a distro I might want to use? Whats the best way to really learn linux? I been watching youtube, reading online, and got some books such as the Linux Bible. Thanks again @brickwizard I really do appreciate your help. I will update this post as well as I progress through this project so others too may learn.

I have the current version of the Linux Bible and a version from a couple of versions ago.

Great book. Hands down, one of the best Linux books I've come across. There's a couple of "for dummies" Linux books that are actually better than one might think.

I have the current version of the Linux Bible and a version from a couple of versions ago.

Great book. Hands down, one of the best Linux books I've come across. There's a couple of "for dummies" Linux books that are actually better than one might think.
Thanks KGill I will look and order them as well. Im a Linux rookie, but learning. I hate how Windows just sucks and Macs are just so damn expensive for what they are... Hope you enjoy your evening.

Do you recomend a distro I might want to use
the choice of distribution is yours alone, what I like or Kg111 likes may not suit you, so our recommendations would be download a few different distros [with different desktops] and run them "live" see which you like the feel of. as to the best way to learn linux again we all have different brains and so absorb information in different ways, watching you-tub is one way but often the instructions are too quick for a lot of people to absorb, reading is the traditional way [I started with a book called Linux for dummies,] but the best way is to do, most of us have learnt more over the years by breaking things and having to fix them,
By now now will have noticed that although mac is a second cousin to linux and windows is a complete different animal, the only thing they have in common is they run applications, so whatever way you choose to expand your Linux knowledge it is going to take time and effort and a learning curve

the choice of distribution is yours alone, what I like or Kg111 likes may not suit you, so our recommendations would be download a few different distros [with different desktops] and run them "live" see which you like the feel of. as to the best way to learn linux again we all have different brains and so absorb information in different ways, watching you-tub is one way but often the instructions are too quick for a lot of people to absorb, reading is the traditional way [I started with a book called Linux for dummies,] but the best way is to do, most of us have learnt more over the years by breaking things and having to fix them,
By now now will have noticed that although mac is a second cousin to linux and windows is a complete different animal, the only thing they have in common is they run applications, so whatever way you choose to expand your Linux knowledge it is going to take time and effort and a learning curve
Thanks brick again you guys have been so helpful. I hope you have a nice weekend.

Staff online

Members online