UEFI no boot options

JojoYou

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I have installed Qubes os but I didn't have 8GB usb drive so I installed it in legaci mode. But now I don't have any UEFI boot options avaible. I checked with Gparted live USB, It didn't erase my disk so I still have installed Windows, Debian and Ubuntu but I can't find a way to boot into them. I tried searching for answers with 0 success. I think mainly because I really don't know how to fox that. I would really love your help.

Im assuming what your saying is that you still have Windows , Debian and Ubuntu on your hard drive of your PC. You can boot Windows and Linux that were set up on a uefi basis using rEFInd . What you need to do is use DD command to put rEFInd .img onto a usb stick, then boot from usb stick. tried it on both Windows 10 (uefi) and Slackware (current) uefi. Could help but up either. This link will get you the download : https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/files/0.12.0/refind-flashdrive-0.12.0.zip/download . This gives doc :

if i'm right in my assumption , you would get one of your Linux up and running , then re-install grub , update grub. You can boot up Windows from grub, as long as its added to grub menu

When you load Linux in Legacy mode it will no longer see UEFI mode - it has to be one or the other you cannot do both - unless your BIOS supports that

Captain thank you for support, I did what yoi told me to but no rEFInd doesn't see any of my operation systems too

Thank you, but while using gdisk I get this error: Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by 33 blocks.

Thank you, but while using gdisk I get this error: Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by 33 blocks.
GPT writes its partition table to both ends of the disk, unlike MBR which only uses the beginning. So you will need to shrink your last partition by at least 33 blocks (probably 17,000 bytes, assuming 512 byte blocks). If you have or can install gparted, that makes it very easy to do. If boot is the last partition on the drive, then that is the one to shrink

That is a problem, you will likely need to re-create the partition table and format.
Fedora tries to boot into EFI first, if it finds a efi hook it will boot into efi mode.
The anaconda installer automatically knows whether it is efi or legacy BIOS.

If it doesn't find a efi hook, it will load the legacy BIOS version.
You kind of don't get to just pick which one you want. It will use the one your UEFI/BIOS is set to.
Now if you know for sure your system supports EFI, there may be some settings in the UEFI
that you have to enable or disable. (CSM is usually the culprit)

Note: your boot partition is separate from from OS partition. Some people like myself
have 8 or 9 partitions on the OS disk.

The boot partition will normally be vfat-32 even if your OS disk is something else like XFS or EXT4.

Last edited:
Lord Bortal I have there Windows partition and when I try to move to make space on the left side gparted freezes.

Dos2unix, I don't know. I don't see there any CSM option in my BIOS.

Yes, I managed to create space at the right but I still get same error.

My disk:

Attachments

• IMG_20220111_161534.png
    IMG_20220111_161534.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 190
Since that did not work I would recommend what - dos2unix stated in post #11

All right, but can you please simplify it for me? I don't understand what he said.

Hello, Thank you for help. I wasn't able to fix my issue so I created new Partition table in GParted so it erased my disk. Now it works.

Members online