Ultimate Edition on MacBook

M

Machin Shin

I'm working on setting up my MacBook to duel boot OSX and Ultimate Edition. I have repartitioned the drive so OSX has half the drive and Ultimate Edition could take second half. I use Refit to handle the selection between the two during boot.

So far I have been able to boot off the CD and use it live off the CD so I know that it works well on this computer. I then installed in allowing it to use all the free space on the drive. The problem is that now it will not boot Linux. During boot I get the Grub menu and then get an error with a kernel panic about not being able to mount file system. I'm including a screen shot of the error.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2013-10-19 08.51.01.jpg
    2013-10-19 08.51.01.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 1,098

Did you try to partition the free space for UE yourself? You can give it a try with Gparted and re-install. Partition the free space into an ext4 and swap for the linux install prior.

I allowed the installer to handle all the partitioning. Using disk utility on OSX I can see that it has created 3 partitions, one of them being a linux swap partition. I for some reason was thinking the issue was just that Grub did not know what partition to mount. Of course, I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to linux.

I know there is some configuration you can do in Grub and have even gotten into the command line for it. I just do not know where I would need to go from there. I suspect I should be able to edit the config some and get current install to boot as is.

I know I'm probably taking the hard way, but I would like to try and fix the error instead of just reinstalling. I'm doing all this just to learn and get comfortable in Linux, so figure fighting the boot loader is as good a place to start as any :)

Staff online

Members online