Unable open certain web pages while using Linux PC (SOLVED)

R0dd0

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to load HTML pages from my ISP, works perfect on my Windows base PC but refuses to load any pages on my Linux machine.
The error that is returned is "502 Bad Gateway" I had no issues prior to this. Both computers Linux and Windows 10 are both wired connections to my Router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rod

The 502 Bad Gateway error is an Http code, it means that one server on the internet received an invalid response from another server, 502 Bad Gateway errors have nothing to do with your computer or its operating system, you could get one in any browser, on any operating system, and on any device.
The error displays inside in your browser window, just like any other web pages do.

Which linux distro are you using? That is important info to know since on some distros you need to add some Codecs to get them to render some web pages.

Have a look here

Which linux distro are you using? That is important info to know since on some distros you need to add some Codecs to get them to render some web pages.
Is this the info you requested..

The problem I am having seems to point to some setting in my Linux system as on both computers I am using the same brand browsers. Opera and Google Chrome.

I have the same problem with both browsers on Linux but no problem on Windows.
Very strange as it was not an issue a few months ago.

I have noticed that the file I want to view is unsecured maybe that is the problem.

Anyway I am lost for ideas.

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 5.8.0-3-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz
Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM

The 502 Bad Gateway error is an Http code, it means that one server on the internet received an invalid response from another server, 502 Bad Gateway errors have nothing to do with your computer or its operating system, you could get one in any browser, on any operating system, and on any device.
The error displays inside in your browser window, just like any other web pages do.
The problem happens when going from a secure site to an unsecured site. I have tried changing my security in my browser to continue but then I receive "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" and again it works on my windows pc with the same brand browser.

Thank you for your help
Regards
Rod

That's strange.. does inspect/console in the browser give anything extra? Does it work with curl? Any issues going to any other sites while in linux?
Hi

I am still getting used to Linux and always finding things I am not use to.
1. inspect/console
I have changed security for unsecured sites with no change

2.Does it work with curl
I don't know what curl is sorry

3.other sites while in linux?
Only this site that I know of ... It is a free web space that my ISP gives to their users.

Thank you for replying I am sure there is an answer.

Regards
Rod

Have a look here
Hi

It states the error but no fix or I am too dumb to understand it... Sorry

Regards
Rod

Change the kernel you are using...it had end of life in November 2020
EOL
5.82 August 2020[25]5.8.18[26]Greg Kroah-HartmanNovember 2020[26]

Change the kernel you are using...it had end of life in November 2020
EOL
5.82 August 2020[25]5.8.18[26]Greg Kroah-HartmanNovember 2020[26]
Hi Condobloke,

Thank you for the info but being a complete novice to Linux how do I go about doing this. I took a look on Google and it seems a bit out of my comfort zone.

Could you guide me through it so I get the correct procedure.

Would upgrading my kernel alleviate my problem.

Regards
Rod

Is the way you connect to your ISP's webspace using the FTP protocol (url beginning with ftp://) ? In that case I suspect something is wrong with the FTP port setting or the security protocol you are using to connect. Try with an dedicated ftp-client instead to see you are able to connect ? Post any error-messages you'll get if somethings goes wrong...

Cheers,
Eddy

It states the error but no fix or I am too dumb to understand it... Sorry
It basically means that the problem isn't on your computer so it shouldn't be a Linux related problem, however since it seems to be only happening on Linux it seems that something isn't going correctly. Can you share the website urls with us where you are running into this problem?

Is the way you connect to your ISP's webspace using the FTP protocol (url beginning with ftp://) ? In that case I suspect something is wrong with the FTP port setting or the security protocol you are using to connect. Try with an dedicated ftp-client instead to see you are able to connect ? Post any error-messages you'll get if somethings goes wrong...

Cheers,
Eddy
Hi Eddy

I just use my browser.... The page I can't get to is
see if you can get it I can't anymore

BTW I can connect to my ISP it is the free web space that has been allotted to me that I am now having issues with.
Again it works on my Windows system.

Let me know there must be something very simple that has gone awry.

Cheers
Rod

It basically means that the problem isn't on your computer so it shouldn't be a Linux related problem, however since it seems to be only happening on Linux it seems that something isn't going correctly. Can you share the website urls with us where you are running into this problem?
Hi f33dm3bits

The link follows
I use it to practice HTML

Let me know if it works
And thank you for your time.

Cheers
Rod

Works for me : http://users.tpg.com.au/adslky9u/Index.html...it is a Forex site

That url is listed on Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list....pic below

if it stops at that page you have a choice to either go back or allow it temporarily or permanently

Do you have an adblocker installed ?

2022-06-02_19-21.png

That page works here also in Chrome and opera. I believe you may need to install proprietory codecs to get it to work on Debian. This page will tell you how. Debian 10 codecs you may also need chrome ffmpeg file installed. Both opera and Chrome use chrome's ffmpeg file sometimes opera will not pick it up and you'll have to copy it to the opera folder. This page will tell you how to install ffmpeg on Debian ffmpeg

Personally if Debian is that restrictive, I would wipe the installation and go with something like Linux Mint.

SImple Solution

Works for me : http://users.tpg.com.au/adslky9u/Index.html...it is a Forex site

That url is listed on Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list....pic below

if it stops at that page you have a choice to either go back or allow it temporarily or permanently

Do you have an adblocker installed ?

View attachment 12743

That is What I run into on my Linux.....
My_Site_Blocked_On_Linux.png

And this is from Windows it just makes me thing it is a setting in my Linux

Windows_page.PNG

I really don't want to go back to Windows I wanted to migrate both computers to Linux but it looks like I might have to install Windows back on my play machine :(

I wonder who decided to call my practice web page a phishing site.. Whatever.

I have an add blocker but it is turned off.

Cheers
Rod

As I said above and Kc1di alluded to, the problem here is with Debian....it needs proprietary codecs to get to run in Debian.
Debian has built in safeguards which are doing what they should do. However for a newish user it can be quite daunting.
Windows has no such safeguards and will connect to just about anything....malware, phishing or whatever.

And then somewhere down the line you may well discover some other glitch that will hold you up again.

You can either do the hard yards and install ffmpeg on Debian....etc etc...or take the path of least resistance and install Linux Mint 20.3 and all the hard yards will have been done for you.

It presents no problem at all on my pc which runs Linux mint 20.3