Unable to boot after power outage

ITSMGuy

Reaction score
Credits
My computer starts but there is no OS to log into. I've created a Fedora 35 live usb and I've gone into Troubleshooting --> Rescue a Fedora system. I was able to access my files but how do I make it so I can boot back into it? I don't get a grub rescue> prompt but if I type C I do get the grub> prompt. I don't know which is my hd but I'm guessing it's (hd1) and (hd0) is the live usb drive but I don't know how to confirm that.

Hello and welcome to the forum,
You have a few options.
1. You could use the live usb session to backup all your important data and do a fresh install (that would be my choice)
2. You can reinstall grub boot loader an see if that will fix the problem. How you do that depends on weather it's an EFI install or Bios Legacy install. here are a couple pages that may be of help
EFI
Grub bootloader docs

You have a few options.
1. You could use the live usb session to backup all your important data and do a fresh install (that would be my choice)
2. You can reinstall grub boot loader an see if that will fix the problem. How you do that depends on weather it's an EFI install or Bios Legacy install. here are a couple pages that may be of help
EFI
Grub bootloader docs
Thank you so much for the detailed response. #1 would be my choice as well but can I dump my mysql dbs from a live usb session? I haven't tried but I will. The other problem I keep having is that my usb drive isn't always bootable from my bios for some reason. Sometimes UEFI Sandisk is available and sometimes it is not and it isn't booting off USB Sandisk.

I've been working tirelessly at #2 but none of the pages/docs I've found have helped. I'll check these two out and comment back. Thanks again for your response.

If it was me, I would from the USB. Open up a terminal. Sudo or su to root.
run fdisk -l to see which disk is which.
Most likely the disk you boot from will be /dev/sda ( your USB stick )
And your computer disk will be /dev/sdb
But fdisk -l will show you the sizes, so it will easy to tell. ( 32GB vs 512GB or something similar )
I don't know what your partitions look like, but /biosboot or /boot/efi will be a separate partition from /
I would try to run fsck on these. i.e fsck -y /dev/sdb1 fsck -y /dev/sdb2 ( change the device to
whatever yours might be ) Hopefully this will fix it.
One way to tell if the file systems are good. Is you can mount them from your USB drive.
i.e. mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
If it mounts, the filesystem is probably OK. If it turns out it is a config file.. maybe /etc/fstab
or something like that, at least you can mount the partitions and look through your files. At the very least
you can copy anything important off somewhere else.

You have a few options.
EFI
Grub bootloader docs
I tried #1 first and that didn't work. I then tried #1 and that also didn't work.

I left all but one partitions the same. I set that one partition to / but I may not have accounted for /boot. I didn't wipe that drive, I just gave the main portion a label and mount point.

PXL_20220107_215052100.jpg
PXL_20220107_215108613.jpg
PXL_20220107_215128688.jpg

I have decided to start over with Debian rather than Fedora but I can't.

PXL_20220107_220341988.jpg

Guess I need to erase all partitions one by one and then install. Wish there was a quicker way from the install but
PXL_20220107_221708643.jpg

And I have to do this for 3 2T drives. This gonna take all wknd.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts