Unable to connect to Samba Share running in Linux Server from MacOS

alphacoorg

Reaction score
Credits
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was hoping someone here could guide me in the right direction regarding the problem I am facing. I have literally tried all possible options in the internet forums with no luck.

I am trying to connect to a samba share running on a headless server running Fedora Server. I am trying to connect to it from mac-mini for timemachine backup and getting the below error in the log

make_connection_snum: canonicalize_connect_path failed for service timemachine, path /home/timemachineuser/timemachinebackup

The Fedora Server is running as VM on Proxmox hypervisor. And I have allocated 750GB of storage via Proxmox for the sole purpose of using it for timemachine backup.

Below is my setup in /etc/samba/smb.conf

[timemachine]
comment = Time Machine
create mask = 0770
directory mask = 0770
path = /home/timemachineuser/timemachinebackup
read only = No
spotlight = Yes
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:time machine = yes
fruit:aapl = yes

The path in the smb.conf is a mount point from the storage that I allocated in proxmox.

/dev/sdc1 738G 73M 700G 1% /home/timemachineuser/timemachinebackup

If I change the path in smb.conf to any normal folder in /home/timemachineuser folder and then try to connect from Mac, it works absolutely fine. But when the path is a mount point, I get the above error. I have given execute permissions to entire hierarchy as suggested by many using: chmod -R a+x /home. But no luck.

I have tried formatting /dev/sdc1 with XFS and ext4 file formats with the same results.

Appreciate any kind of help to get this sorted. Thanks in advance.

- RC

Just to be clear. If, on your server, you set the smb.conf path to a local hard drive folder, everything works. You can connect from your MAC. However, if on your server, you set the path to a mounted drive (NFS/NAS?), then it's broken and you cannot connect from your MAC?

If I have it right, then it sounds like a permissions issue. On your server, can you cd into the mounted directory and do a ls and see the contents? Check the permissions of it. Is the SMB/MAC user included in the group? Make sure that the SMB/MAC user ID has rights leading up to the directory as well. I ran into a similar issue, but with NFS. I had /mnt/nfs/something. In the nfs folder, I had just root/root. Something was opened for the group nfsusers but I could never connect to it on my client machine, until I changed nfs to root/nfsusers.

Just to be clear. If, on your server, you set the smb.conf path to a local hard drive folder, everything works. You can connect from your MAC. However, if on your server, you set the path to a mounted drive (NFS/NAS?), then it's broken and you cannot connect from your MAC?

Thank you for the reply. That is correct. Exactly the issue i am facing.

If I have it right, then it sounds like a permissions issue. On your server, can you cd into the mounted directory and do a ls and see the contents? Check the permissions of it. Is the SMB/MAC user included in the group? Make sure that the SMB/MAC user ID has rights leading up to the directory as well. I ran into a similar issue, but with NFS. I had /mnt/nfs/something. In the nfs folder, I had just root/root. Something was opened for the group nfsusers but I could never connect to it on my client machine, until I changed nfs to root/nfsusers.

I have literally given 777 permission on the mounted device and I am able to cd into it and even create files in the directory. I have actually changed the owner of the mount point to the SMB user(timemachineuser) itself to avoid any permission issue, still not sure why I am getting this issue.

$ ls -ld /home/timemachineuser/timemachinebackup

drwxrwxrwx. 3 timemachineuser timemachine 4096 Jan 11 17:45 /home/timemachineuser/timemachinebackup

Mac is giving me the below error. Unable to figure out what exactly I am doing wrong.

Members online