Unable to set Screen Resolution to 1920x1080

Cubifyy

Reaction score
Credits
For some reason I am unable to set Linux Mint to my monitor's native resolution of 1920x1080 and have been forced to use 1600x900, I used CVT to create a custom resolution of 1920x1080, but when I tried to set the resolution to 1080p, there is just a brief black screen, it says that 1080p is applied when it still is in 900p
I doubt that it's the VGA cable that I use (yes, vga.) since Windows had no trouble with having my screen at 1080p

If anyone could give me a solution to this issue it would be much appreciated

1673050052957.png

I don't have an answer, but what kinda GPU are you working with and which drivers are you using to power it?

Intel HD Graphics 4400 not using any specific drivers, was told that linux would handle the drivers
I currently do not know how to install any such driver if it exists, since I cannot find a proper download for one let alone instructions to get it through terminal.

Last edited:
I already tried that, and this is the error it shows (same when trying to change in display config)
1673062770606.png

What is the graphics driver? To find out run:
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3
If it's i915, do you have the package: firmware-misc-nonfree, installed?

It is i915, how would I find out if I have that package or not?

G'day @Cubifyy and welcome to linux.org :)

In Terminal type and enter

Code:
apt policy firmware-misc-nonfree

If it shows as available and installed, you already have it. If it shows as available but not installed, then

Code:
sudo apt -y install firmware-misc-nonfree

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@wizardfromoz AFAIK Intel's graphics drivers are opensource, why OP need non-free?

@wizardfromoz AFAIK Intel's graphics drivers are opensource, why OP need non-free?
If you inspect the contents of firmware-misc-nonfree package you will find:
Code:
<snip>
firmware-misc-nonfree: /lib/firmware/i915/adlp_dmc_ver2_09.bin
firmware-misc-nonfree: /lib/firmware/i915/adlp_dmc_ver2_10.bin
firmware-misc-nonfree: /lib/firmware/i915/adlp_guc_62.0.3.bin
firmware-misc-nonfree: /lib/firmware/i915/adls_dmc_ver2_01.bin
firmware-misc-nonfree: /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_dmc_ver1.bin
<snip>
There are about 80 firmware/i915 files there and they can make a difference. The issue is whether they do in this case.

If you inspect the contents of firmware-misc-nonfree you will find:
There are about 80 firmware/i915 files there and they can make a difference.
Yeah you are right, I forgot the fact that drivers can be opensource but that the the firmware in a lot if cases is still closed source.

I will try those commands tomorrow as it is currently 11:12pm, thank you very much.

G'day @Cubifyy and welcome to linux.org :)

In Terminal type and enter

Code:
apt policy firmware-misc-nonfree

If it shows as available and installed, you already have it. If it shows as available but not installed, then

Code:
sudo apt -y install firmware-misc-nonfree

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I did both commands and this is the output
1673122201851.png

Cubifyy reported output:
Code:
Package 'firmware-misc-nonfree' has no installation candidate.
This output likely because your sources.list doesn't include "non-free".
You could add "contrib" and "non-free" to your repository lines in the /etc/apt/sources.list, and run the command again.

Another thing you may try is to run as root:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
which may let you know what firmware you are missing.

Another thing you might look at is the isenkram program. It can be installed, after which one runs as root:
Code:
isenkram-autoinstall-firmware
and it will try and install all missing firmware.

Here is the output, I also ran
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
in root but there wasn't any difference, I also tried reinstalling Mint but there still isn't any change
1673226561781.png

What is the output of:

Code:
dpkg -L firmware-misc-nonfree

How to install firmware-misc-nonfree on Ubuntu​

Last edited:
Cubiffy, it's not clear whether you have included the non-free repository in your sources.list in /etc/apt/sources.list file. The output of your command: apt-get install firmware-misc-nonfree, reports:
Code:
Package firmware-misc-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
It's likely that the reference to "another source" means the non-free repository. To find out, one needs to add the "non-free" option to the repositories in the sources.file, (mentioned in post #14) and run the update and installation commands again, if you haven't already done that.

Staff online

Members online