Undelete Files on Linux Systems

Devyn for secure deleting, how would you rate BleachBit?

I highly recommend Bleachbit 100% of the time. True, other programs exist for secure deletion (both OSS and proprietary), but I like Bleachbit over all other programs.

Please I need your help. I really don't know what is happening.
I was using TestDisk and my disk is now full 99%.
I have no idea why and how to get my disk space free.

I cannot do anything because the disk is full and I don't see any file to delete.

EDIT : I finally found a huge file and I deleted it. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Please I need your help. I really don't know what is happening.
I was using TestDisk and my disk is now full 99%.
I have no idea why and how to get my disk space free.

I cannot do anything because the disk is full and I don't see any file to delete.

EDIT : I finally found a huge file and I deleted it. Problem solved.

If you have this problem again, or if someone else has this problem, the "du" command can help the user find the issue by displaying the sizes of directories and files. I use "du -hx -d 1" to see the size of the directories in my current directory and I track the issue from there.

What if users can have better option in recovering deleted files from Linux system (EXT1, EXT3 etc.) using GUI based Linux recovery tool. I'd like to suggest one and strongly believe that it may help for someone who needs it:

Stellar Phoenix Linux Data Recovery (Google the term)

P.S. This tool will work only on Windows system. So you've to remove the problem storage media and connect it to your PC.

Don't forget to post your opinion about the same.

This is useful..... :) But I modified data since then..... D: Oh well..... I did back up MOST of my things..... :) Thanks for telling us about this utility!..... :D

Very useful; I didn't know about this until now. However, as someone already wrote, it is usually when we have a problem we look for programs like this. In my case I've deleted a folder on an NTFS disk/partition. I get to the stage List and copy files, and TestDisk exits. I am guessing because it an 85% full 1GB partition and all its contents. The partition is is the only partition and the whole of the drive; I am doing this from my Mint 17.1 installation on a Mint/Windows 7 dual-boot system. Can I get the TestDisk List command to execute on this disk/partition or do I need another program?

Staff online