unicode root password

defaultusername1100

Reaction score
Credits
hi im wondering if i can use a mixed unicode password for the root account on debian , for example - " ÝĔĐěƍ//;!,]___ƊǥǢβ ܓ
if i use a mix of greek hebrew russian etc will there be any problem or should it work fine. note this wont be used at graphical user interface login, strictly for root comands on terminal ? ࠍ

G'day and welcome to Linux.org

I can only assume that you could use whatever the hell you like.....although there may be a recognition problem with the OS.....the question begs itself....why would you want to ?

G'day and welcome to Linux.org

I can only assume that you could use whatever the hell you like.....although there may be a recognition problem with the OS.....the question begs itself....why would you want to ?

do you know if its possible ? i will give it a whirl anyhoo , in this day and age it doesnt hurt to be over precautious in a technological world. strong passwords should be a default . anyhoo a basic summary would be im paranoid about "security" and privacy if such thing even exists in this day and age.

The only way to find out is to test it, I just did by setting "ÝĔĐěƍ//;!,]___ƊǥǢβ ܓ" as password for a normal user and my root user and it works, so yes seems so.

Last edited:
The only way to find out is to test it, I just did by setting "ÝĔĐěƍ//;!,]___ƊǥǢβ ܓ" as password for a normal user and my root user and it works, so yes seems so.
im not sure how you would login with a gui with a "normal user account" using those characters ( ? ) ,should work with root

I meant I used ssh to login with the normal user, try it out yourself. If you want extra security for your root account you could always enable two-factor authentication.

Last edited:
I meant I used ssh to login with the normal user, try it out yourself. If you want extra security for your root account you could always enable two-factor authentication.
im using a laptop work station so i dont login via ssh , is that possible with a desktop enviroment, and is it done via PAM ?

im using a laptop work station so i dont login via ssh , is that possible with a desktop enviroment, and is it done via PAM ?
I haven't tested it for a graphical login, only through ssh. I would find that type of a password too complicated to type as a password if you are not used to using such characters in your daily typing. Create a testuser on your system and try it out for that user if it doesn't work you can just login to your normal user and remove the testuser and then you know for sure.

Members online

Latest posts