Uninstall Ubuntu and Replace With Windows XP

trystanjode

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I have an old ASUS computer that has Ubuntu on it, but for various reasons I wish to uninstall Ubuntu and replace it with Windows XP and run an old program that is incompatable with newer versions of Windows. I have a Windows installation DVD with a valid passcode. However, despite loads of internet research, I cannot find a way to do this operation - Ubuntu does not open the .exe file on the Windows disc. Has anyone any suggestions?
Many thanks.

. I have a Windows installation DVD with a valid passcode.
I would advise you to also get the final service pack [I belive its sp3]
your options are trying to run the windows program in wine
install a VM [if you have enough ram to run it smoothly]
install windows in place of Ubuntu, it's the same basic routeen, but you will also need to download and install the motherboard drivers

I would dis-advise of installing WindowsXP because it's unsupported os and not receiving security updates, unless your are planning to not connect this system to the internet.

You could install WINE a lot of Windows programs run just fine in it

If you're not happy with Ubuntu, try a different distro, but be sure its the one you want as your daily driver

You could install WINE a lot of Windows programs run just fine in it

While they could try it, it doesn't work with everything. I remember trying to get it to work with some kind of windows software I wanted to run years ago, and it didn't. I also remember hearing distrotube mention this problem on occasion.

Most likely your Windows CD is not bootable so here is how to make one

Making a Bootable Windows XP CD from Ubuntu - step by step

1) Grab PowerISO from Here
2) Download Windows XP Boot Disk from here
3) Have a blank CD handy for burning new ISO
We need to create 3 folders in your home directory 1)WinXP 2)PowerISO 3)BootDisk
Copy your Windows XP CD into the WinXP Folder - Now Extract the poweriso file you downloaded into the PowerISO folder and then extract the Win xp boot disk into the BootDisk folder
With that done we now need to open the WinXP folder you will see this - see screenshot
1.png

Now we need to create an ISO file so highlight all the files and right click and compress or add to archive, when that menu opens select .iso and the file name should be WinXP with a .iso extension and click Create - you should see a file called WinXP.iso
Now we need to go to the PowerISO folder - see screenshot
5.png

To open that program - right click inside that folder and Open Terminal Here now type in
Code:
sudo bash ./poweriso.sh
you will need to type in your password - PowerISO is now open - Next click on the Add button and select and navigate to the WinXP.iso file and click add you will notice on the bottom left side it says Non-bootable Image - see screenshot
2.png

Now we need to add the Boot image - click Action then Boot then Add boot information - now navigate to the BootDisk folder
- see screenshot
6.png

and select the WinXP Boot Disk.IMA file- once added if you look at the bottom left it should now say Bootable Image - see screenshot
3.png

- click the Save button - you now have a bootable WinXP - now insert a blank CD and select the Burn button now select Image file and load the WinXP.iso put a check mark in Finalize disc and Verify written data and click the Burn button at the bottom - see screenshot
4.png

Now with the CD in your drive you can reboot and tap the F12 key usually to bring up a one time boot window and select you CD drive it should boot the WinXP CD you can then install
Hope this works for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I'm not not suggesting installing windows xp because of lack of updates, if you insist on having windows, did you know that windows 10 and 11 have a compatibility mode to run old programs too? It's accessible by right-clicking on the exe file and choosing properties and going to compatibility tab and selecting windows xp or any other windows you would like. And installation wise, when you have a windows DVD, can't you boot it through bios and run the installation?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts