Uninstall

Wally113

Reaction score
Credits
I have installed Linux Mint 19.3, I need to uninstall it and then I will re-install from a USB. But how do I uninstall this. Thanks

You do not have to "uninstall".
When you re-install the new "from a USB" the installer program should ask where you want to install the new. Choose the partition where the 'old' is installed and it will overwrite the old.

Just pay close attention to the information being presented and partitions.

OK my question is How do I uninstall mint 19.3 I need to uninstall period.

Just boot from your liveusb and start a new installation to overwrite your current one.

Please understand my question, forget a USB or reboot..... I need to wipe Linux off my computer, how do I Uninstall. Please

Please understand my question, forget a USB or reboot..... I need to wipe Linux off my computer, how do I Uninstall. Please
There is not uninstall option just like you don't have the option to uninstall with Windows. All you have to do is wipe you hard drive using your favorite data removal tool. There is no logic to your question because whether you wipe your disk with a data removal tool to remove the current installed OS or you just install over the current OS from usb it doesn't really make a different unless there is a specific reason why you are wanting to that which you aren't sharing?

@Wally113
Greetings Wally,
To my knowledge, there is no way that you can just 'uninstall' an operating system.
It begs the question - 'Why do you want a computer with no operating system?' The computer then becomes nothing but a doorstop.
OG TC

Boot to the live USB. Open the partition manager (often GParted, but not always, and may appear as 'disks' in your menu). Delete all the partitions, making sure to click apply when you're done.

There. You've uninstalled Linux.

As the others have said:
You don't need to uninstall anything. There is no uninstaller to remove Mint.

If you're planning on reinstalling - literally just use your Mint live USB and reinstall over the top of the existing installation.

But if you REALLY insist that you must completely remove it - for whatever reason - you could perhaps boot into your live USB and then use something like dd to overwrite the entire drive, or partition where your mint installation resides with zeros from /dev/null.

Then you could use something like gparted, or some other disk management tool to reformat the entire partition.
(I don't use mint, so I don't know exactly what's on the Live environment, by default)

Or you could download DBAN (Dariks Boot and Nuke), or some other data removal tools and burn them to a disk, or to a USB drive and use those to wipe your HD!

Last edited:
Boot to the live USB. Open the partition manager (often GParted, but not always, and may appear as 'disks' in your menu). Delete all the partitions, making sure to click apply when you're done.

There. You've uninstalled Linux.
What @KGIII said ^^^^^^

@Wally113 Welcome to Linux.org

You have been answered by some of the best brains in the business.

What say you ?

Evening all from DownUnder
:)

Hate to state the bleeding obvious or rather the "bleeding likely". And no offence regarding the willing help given freely by those above.

But the OP has told us next to nothing of his environment in his earliest Post, nor since.

If he is (likely) running Windows 10, then all he needs to do is to go into Windows Disk Management and reclaim the partition space.

If he has deleted Windows in favour of Linux, and now wants to go back, then all he needs to do is to run a Windows install, and same effect.

KISS

... he hasn't been around for 21 hours when I wrote this, perhaps he may tell us what he is up to.

Or not.

Take care folks and stay safe.

Wizard

Members online