Unique Machine-id generation for Oracle Enterprise Linux 7.8

prezidentj33

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I'm new to the forums here and have only been working with Linux for 2 years or so (not full time) but do support them and have been getting more immersed into the Linux servers and things. I'm creating new Linux Templates for servers and we use Vcenter so virtual machines. I created template and deployed a few test boxes.

One thing I noticed was when attempting to generate a unique machine-id it always comes back with
Initializing Machine ID from D-Bus Machine ID instead of generating random machine-id.

Not only does it do this but the machine-id never changes. I am not versed enough in Linux to know how to get around this or why it's doing this. We have some older templates I used where if I did this it worked just fine. Granted those were older templates built by someone else.

I'm doing this so I can be sure I have unique machine-ids after cloning. I also as a test removed machine-id file from the template and tried that but it does not get created on bootup so I end up having to run the systemd-machine-id-setup and it just creates same file and same ID all over again.

Any help on this would be great as I am stuck here.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Members online