[UNSOLVED] Can’t choose installation type Ubuntu 18.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinTFI

Reaction score
Credits
I don't know why, but i have a unique problem I've never seen. I've been looking everywhere for weeks and I can't find a solution. Immediately when I boot up Ubuntu a black screen with white text says something along the lines of "something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed" and more errors saying file not found. Right after this I'm able to boot up Ubuntu though, strange as it is. This is what I've done: Disable secure boot, disable fast boot, shrink 150gb from my 1tb ssd hard drive, and it is unallocated. Burn Ubuntu 18.04 LTS onto a SanDisk flash drive with Rufus 3.4. Click f12 after restarting my laptop. Select boot from SanDisk(Flash drive). Then when I go to install it something very weird happens. These are the pictures of the order of installation. Keep in mind, I did not skip a single step, and It doesnt show me possible installation types. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5570 1tb SSD Intel i7 core processor. I have tried ubuntu 18.04, ubuntu 18.1, xubuntu, linux mint and more but the same thing always happens. Ive also gotten help from someone during the process, and they were very confused on why it happened. Please help, and thanks a lot for reading all of this haha. Sorry for the low quality images, and the order is messed up. Once again, thanks a lot.

BTW: I’m trying to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 10, also when i click the + or change it freezes the installer, and it says it is not responding shortly after.

IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG

Last edited:

Hi Gavin, and welcome to Linux.org. Quick question. Did you verify your Ubuntu .iso prior to burning it to you thumb drive? If not, I'd sugest you do that. What you are describing sounds like a corrupted .iso file. If that is the case the fix will be easy. Just download another Ubuntu .iso file, verify the checksum, then burn it to a DVD or Thumb Drive.

Hi Gavin, and welcome to Linux.org. Quick question. Did you verify your Ubuntu .iso prior to burning it to you thumb drive? If not, I'd sugest you do that. What you are describing sounds like a corrupted .iso file. If that is the case the fix will be easy. Just download another Ubuntu .iso file, verify the checksum, then burn it to a DVD or Thumb Drive.
Ive done a little bit of looking online, and it appears I have to download bash on windows. Is there a simpler / better solution or is this the best way?

Hi folks, and @GavinTFI welcome to linux.org :)

I note it has been a 5 days or so since we have heard from the OP.

Gavin, has anything new developed, or are you still stuck?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW that bash from Windows reference is nonsense, but can you give us a link?

I would try using a different usb drive. the chances that all those linux distros were messed up are small. also try it on a different computer.

I would try using a different usb drive. the chances that all those linux distros were messed up are small. also try it on a different computer.
I mean I’m not trying to get Linux to solve it, I actually want to use it and my old pc is pretty bad, and I wouldn’t use it

Hi folks, and @GavinTFI welcome to linux.org :)

I note it has been a 5 days or so since we have heard from the OP.

Gavin, has anything new developed, or are you still stuck?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW that bash from Windows reference is nonsense, but can you give us a link?
So I solved my import_mok_state error and now it says “AE_NOT_FOUND” and “cannot get size 0x800000000000” Couldn’t find the video mentioned however, it also wasnt the bug I had though

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem , ubuntu version is 20.04 LTS

:)@Jayant welcome to linux.org

You are better served by starting your own Thread in this subforum, as this one has not been active for nearly 2 and a half years.

Put keywords in the title, such as

Ubuntu 20.04 Mok State Error

and people will zoom in to help.

Also have a read of this link to help you give us information.

https://linuxtips.gq/2021/01/19/how-to-ask-a-good-support-question

You can provide a link to this Thread if you like, to say you think you have the same problem.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

and can you please tell us what the make/model of box your trying to install to
thanks
Bwiz

OP has a Dell Inspiron 5570:-
there is nothing in the spec's of that machine that should cause problems,
I would suspect an error in either the download or the burning of the iso

there is nothing in the spec's of that machine that should cause problems,
I would suspect an error in either the download or the burning of the iso
Agreed-:)

Looks like you are using a dated version of Rufus you said - "Burn Ubuntu 18.04 LTS onto a SanDisk flash drive with Rufus 3.4" - 3.14 is the latest also you might want to try Etcher and not Rufus

Folks, do please note what I said at #10 above.

And if you run your mouse over the OP's avatar you will see somethig like below.

6CaKlZc.png

Dates mentioned are Australian, but you'll get the picture.

The OP posted this Thread on January 18 2019. Hasn't been seen since May 29 2019.

@Jayant who posted at #9 has been advised to start his own Thread.

I am closing this Thread, but thanks for your help.

Cheers

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online