Unusual CPU usage in Ubuntu 11.04

D

DaReaper

Hello

I'm having an unusual CPU, usage in Ubuntu 11.04. The fact that my laptop overheats a lot even after i've serviced it last week and also changed the thermal paste and use a cooling pad it still overheats when i run Ubuntu. I've noticed that my Windows 7 process takes up around 850 MB of RAM and CPU usage without running any application is 2-3 %, so i don't notice much heating on windows.

But when i run Ubuntu, i've noticed that Compiz(The visual effects manager) takes up around 60-70 MB of RAM and also that it's CPU usage is high usually around 20-22%. I want to find out a way to disable this. And i don't know why my Ubuntu eats up around 650 MB of ram without any apps running. It's 64 Bit and i pretty much know that a fresh install usually uses just around 100 MB.

My motive to switch to Ubuntu was to control the overheating issue. I remember upgrading from Ubuntu 10 to 11.04 which i think might be the issue.

Anyone got any solutions for these?

opinion

Hi. Well yes. The upgrade could give you that problem. But the ubuntu isnt the problem. The problem may be is your machine. The compiz demand many resources. Not all the upgrades are for anybody. Check your pc specs and make the choice , uninstall compiz or downgrade your distro (better the last one). Hope helps

Hi. Well yes. The upgrade could give you that problem. But the ubuntu isnt the problem. The problem may be is your machine. The compiz demand many resources. Not all the upgrades are for anybody. Check your pc specs and make the choice , uninstall compiz or downgrade your distro (better the last one). Hope helps

Thanks for the suggestion, Here's what i did: At present i'm logging into Ubuntu using Ubuntu's classic mode(without effects), this i think disables compiz. I had to google to figure how to disable it. It's a good solution for now, i've also noted that The system monitor itself uses certain amount of CPU to display the running processes and stuff... so that could be the reason fooling me about the extra CPU usage. At present the CPU Usage via System monitor is 11%, via terminal i found out that it was around 5%.

I still have memory issues though, so i'll just try to get a fresh install of the latest version.

Hi. Why dont you try opensuse??? The 11.3 11.4 and 12.1 works great and runs smoothly

Yeah, OpenSUSE looks pretty impressive, what would it take to have it installed besides windows? Cause with Ubuntu i had Wubi to have it install the i386 ISO for me.

At the moment i'm checking out the screenshots.

Is there a way to install the CPU Frequency Monitor applet? If your CPU is running at 200 MHz, 44% CPU is not all that much. (My CPU runs at 2100 MHz when it is busy, but spends most of its time at 800 MHz. The i5 might go lower.)

Members online