up and running, just a few details: repositories

Tinchus2009

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all. I finally fixed some installation problems. Debian 10 is running! I want to install some softwares, for example SINAPTIC for handling .deb files. Im having troubles installing it. For example, if I issue:
root@debian:~/Downloads# apt-get aptitude
E: Invalid operation aptitude
root@debian:~/Downloads# apt-get install aptitude
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
aptitude is already the newest version (0.8.12-1).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
aptitude : Depends: aptitude-common (= 0.8.12-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcwidget4 (>= 0.5.18-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 9) but 8.3.0-6 is to be installed
Depends: libxapian30 (>= 1.4.12~) but 1.4.11-1 is to be installed
Recommends: libparse-debianchangelog-perl but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Do I have something wrong with repositories, should I add some specific repository?

@Tinchus2009 welcome to the site.
Just joined as well.

Glad you got Debian up & running.

Unfortunately I've been out of the loop for some time, but can certainly understand the grievances with unresolved dependency issues.
:mad:

Since I'm considering a Debian distro, hope you don't mind if I tag along.

Chaz

root@debian:~/Downloads# apt-get install aptitude
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
aptitude is already the newest version (0.8.12-1).
Hello, and welcome to both of you. The commands apt, apt-get, and aptitude all do the same thing... they use the command line to download and install software from the repositories. When you entered the command correctly, as quoted above, your Debian system told you that you already have the aptitude package installed.

What I think you want for installing .deb files is the gdebi program. So you can try to install it with any of those "apt" choices, like this:

Code:
apt install gdebi       # or
apt-get install gdebi   # or
aptitude install gdebi

Debian may tell you that it is also already installed. Or it may report back to you how big the download will be, and you will have to hit "Y" to allow it to continue installing the program. Or it may just take off and install if you gave the command as root or used sudo.

When you use gdebi to install .deb files, it will also install any necessary dependencies for you.

Cheers

Staff online

Members online