Update AppArmor in Ubuntu?

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
How does AppArmor get updated? I have version "AppArmor 2.13.3" and the latest version is 3.0.1. Is there any possible way to update AppArmor in Ubuntu?

Google

apparmor pkgs.org

Wiz

How does AppArmor get updated? I have version "AppArmor 2.13.3" and the latest version is 3.0.1. Is there any possible way to update AppArmor in Ubuntu?
Which version of Ubuntu are you using?
Ubuntu 21.10 comes with appamor 3.0.3
20.04 only has 2.13.3.
I don't know of any way to upgrade to the newer version in 20.04.
You may have to wait until 22.04 LTS is released to get a new version.

Last edited:
That's not something I'd try to change without having made a working backup. Unless you have a really good reason, I'd suggest keeping it the same as when the devs released it.

I have KDE Neon w/ Build 2004 (Build 2004 LTS= Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)

My guess is that App Armor will be updated when Build 2204 LTS gets released this year.

In Jammy (what will be 22.04) the apt policy indicates that the apparmor candidate is 3.0.3.

So, that will be the version in 22.04 LTS (due out relatively soon) - or a more recent version will be.

Having used the daily build of 22.04 for awhile. I would say the apparmor version will be 3.0.3. But then Conical sometime surprises at the last minute. In any event it's very hard to upgrade apparmor without a total update of debus and other dependencies. So in Ubuntu and derivatives any way your pretty much stuck with the version it ships with.

But then Conical sometime surprises at the last minute.

It's not too far from being feature locked, where they very, very seldom change the version to give LTS. In my understanding, they want the software to also be in LTS as much as possible. Looking at the release notes, this doesn't appear to be a major version change. So, they could go with something newer - if it's available. 3.0.3 mostly just fixes a bug in 3.0.2.

Having used the daily build of 22.04 for awhile.

Also, if you want, you can download a new 'manifest' every day. I then keep two in rotation so that I can use 'diff' to accurately track the day's changes. It looks like this.

Code:
ls -la | grep manifest # tells me which is oldest, so I can remove it
rm jammy-desktop-amd64.manifest # or rm jammy-desktop-amd64.manifest.1 - remove the oldest
wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/jammy-desktop-amd64.manifest
diff jammy-desktop-amd64.manifest jammy-desktop-amd64.manifest.1

I do the live testing, mostly. So, that's my method. There are surely more elegant solutions, but here we are.

Members online

Latest posts