Update on Lubuntu 14 install

S

ssines60

I have decided to try installing networking and Lubuntu 14 on a slightly newer machine. In this case a Sony VAIO PCG-FRV27 laptop/2.6 Ghz/40GB HDD. It has a built in NIC to which I am CAT5 hardwired to the WRT54G Linksys router as I type this to you. (The wire looks LOVELY traipsing from bedroom to living room in order to get ANY connection at all.) I am still trying to get the WNA3100 to work with one of these without a great deal of success, although I have made SOME progress, I think. Later I was advised to use the Synaptic Package Manager, (no clue how to do it right yet), only to have the following message window come up immediately after opening it:
"An error occurred
The following details are provided:
E:The package ttf-mscorefonts-installer needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
E:Internal error opening cache(1). Please report."

Which necessitates closing the warning and the SPM then closes immediately after, doing nothing at all.
So my question is, What is going on, what is it telling ME to do, and how exactly do I do what it says? Again I might point out that the CAT5 cable is TEMPORARY and I really have NO IDEA how naked my computer is to the plentiful internet thieves.

Mscorefonts is available through lubuntu-restricted-extras. Make sure you have the "universe" repository enabled in Software Sources and then refresh. In a Terminal, connected to the Internet, issue the command: sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras

As I have said before you can get your wireless to work thus
Look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174748
Scroll down to the message from vanquishedangel

Security. You are actually more secure connected by cable than you are connected by wifi. Just turn on the Firewall. It should be OK unless you are streaming or similar.
Turn on the firewall
8.4. It's advisable to turn on the firewall (it's disabled by default):

Menu button - Accessories - LXTerminal

Copy/paste this command into the terminal:
sudo ufw enable

Press Enter. Type your password when prompted; this will remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal. Press Enter again.

Now check the firewall status. Copy/paste into the terminal:
sudo ufw status verbose

Press Enter.
- https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/lubuntu

Members online

Latest posts