Update your computer!

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

@Condobloke
It is amazing to me that people want the freedom that Linux brings to the individual; but do not want the individual responsibility that comes with that freedom. Responsibility is the price of freedom.
On the Linux Mint blog posted above, I saw a couple posts where the poster actually wanted Linux to institute 'forced updates'!!!!!
As I see it, if someone wants 'forced updates' then they should make the switch to Apple or Microsoft, and then they would be happier without all that individual responsibility to take care of himself or herself. If someone wants to stay in the elementary stage of learning, then Linux is not the best option for them.
Thanks for letting me rant on the subject of becoming an independent, mature computer user. LOL.
OG TC :cool:

Responsibility is the price of freedom.

I am just gonna highlight that. I can't elaborate, as we've got a strict policy regarding politics.

But, yes... Yes it does require responsibility.

I'm not sure I'd want forced updates. A person reserves the right to not update, but I reserve the right to think little of them (with very, very few exceptions).

It seems to me that there are some misperceptions concerning software updates and especially surrounding "security" updates.

I think much of the misperception stems from the sensationalist, click-bait headlines many (most) of the Tech Bloggers and Security Bloggers love to employ.

Often software bugs and security flaws affect a very narrow specific platform, software package, or use case. Sometimes a very specific set of parameters or conditions must be present in order to capitalize on the flaw.

I am a staunch advocate of keeping software packages up to date with the latest security patches but I do NOT favor the OS vendor or software provider 'forcing' updates in an effort to protect the user from themselves. There are valid reasons for a user to employ older versions of an operating system or software package.

Another reason to be circumspect when considering software updates, 'security' or otherwise, is all the 'breakage'.

There are valid reasons for a user to employ older versions of an operating system or software package.

Indeed. There are very few reasons, but there are reasons to not upgrade. A good example is when it's impossible to use the upgraded software with specific hardware. I have an oscilloscope that runs a Linux variant and it can not (reasonably) be upgraded further.

I never understood why some users don't or never or just plain refuse to install updates.

Most Linux distros offer an update indicator saying there are updates available to download and install.

Most Linux distros in their software manager or update manager offer the feature to automatically download and install security updates.

Perhaps some users fear that updates may screw up their Linux distro and that does happen sometimes but not often in my experience.

I normally do my updates every Sundie but I also go through them and see what it is attempting to repair and why.
Yeah I have me fingers and toes crossed just in case it decides to play funny buggers:p:D:D:D even though I am fully aware it ain't the same as that other dodgy one that everybody else drools over.

I update constantly. I have it aliased to even automatically accept the upgrades with the '-y' switch. It's one word to update - and that's exactly the word. "update"

I have at least one terminal open at all times. I type 'update' in the terminal several times a day. Then, I alt-tab back to what I was doing and forget about it. If something malfunctions, I know where the logs are. It has never bit me to the point of making my system unusable. I also use LTS/stable releases (as a general rule) so I'm not bit by using the latest and greatest/bleeding-edge software.

I have at least one terminal open at all times. I type 'update' in the terminal several times a day
Ah ha this difference between you and I.;)

Code:
alias update="sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt clean -y"

That's what I do. I ain't scared! I ain't never scared!

I should probably change it to 'full-upgrade'.

Also, you probably shouldn't do this. I'm not sure I'd actually advise doing it this way.

Also, you probably shouldn't do this
With me it ain't gonna happen unless I become a coding genius overnight and understood the OS better than the back of my hand so I can easily get my self out the poo I put myself in.

I update constantly.
First thing I do in the morning from the git go is run the update manager and check for any available updates and then install any available updates.

With me it ain't gonna happen unless I become a coding genius overnight and understood the OS better than the back of my hand so I can easily get my self out the poo I put myself in.
Breaking my Linux distro is how I learn what not to do.

If it ain't broke, tweak it!

For those running Debian or Ubuntu based just install.
Code:
cron-apt - automatic update of packages using apt-get

Well !....I did unpack the proverbial can of worms!....and then @70 Tango Charlie wrenched the lid completely off !!!

I have repaired small engines for around 50+ years.
I have a fair idea what 'makes them tick'
But.....I do not profess to know more than the people who manufactured them initially (actually there are a few cases but I wont go there)

there is a quite perfect combination ....Linux + Timeshift

If....and I repeat IF, an update actually 'breaks' Linux, and in the worst case renders that install of Linux quite inoperable ....black screen, not functionig at all etc etc...addhorror story here.....
The bootable usb stick with Linux installed thereon, comes out of the dusty draw where it has waited (patiently) for such an occasion....it is inserted, the pc is booted to it, Timeshift is accessed on that 'Live' os, and a suitable 'snapshot' is highlighted and I click on Restore.

Boring huh ?

Yes.

Bit like the repair of small engines. Boring. Predictable.

But.....in my time of running Linux (on @KGIII's poll, between 5 & 10 Years)....that scenario just described has happened....(drum roll)......ONCE.

The 'manufacturer of Linux Mint knows his stuff. Trust him/her. I do.

Back to you Charlie..... ;)

Last edited:
Responsibility is the Price of Freedom

Elbert Hubbard

Author Profession: Writer
Nationality: American
Born: June 19, 1856
Died: May 7, 1915

Amen to That.

@Condobloke
Oh my!
I did not realize that can of worms was so BIG! LOL!!!!

"The 'manufacterer' of Linux Mint knows his stuff. Trust him/her. I do."

A-1 Bro. He (they) is-are good at what they do. I have never come close - in about 4 - 5 years - to breaking the system when doing an update. However, I do have my Timeshift to back me up in case I do.
Please don't get angry with me for this little correction 'manufacturer'. Maybe this is just the USA way of spelling it. I guess I have been doing too much proof-reading.
OG TC

Post Script - Hubbard was quite a prolific writer; and a very intelligent fellow.

oops....the spell check failed to alert me !....and I failed to notice it as well!
Now corrected.

:eek: ......... :cool:

Here is one of E Hubbards' interesting comments on academic education:

All three of our sons have engineering degrees, which they earned themselves by working, getting scholarships and student loans {which they paid back in full}.
I remember telling them that the piece of paper that they earned is just a piece of paper that opens doors for them. Once they enter that door, they then must be able to produce something of value for their employer. I still believe this to be true.

OG TC the aged philosopher of sorts!

Staff online

Members online