Upgrade to Linux Mint 21 and 21.1 from Mint 20.3

mrcrossroads

Reaction score
Credits
I just used this this evening.
A complete tutorial on - how to upgrade to Linux Mint 21 and 21.1 from Linux Mint 20.3 with the graphical method.

I always do a clean install but that's me.
m1213.gif

I find it is much easier just to do a clean install.
I guess I'm just lazy! Hah!
OG

I've used Fedora for a little over a year now, and I've done one major upgrade from 36 to 37 and had very good experience, I didnt find the need to do a new install :)

I used to always do fresh installs but lately been doing in place upgrades. No negative consequences to date. But also I don't usually make such a big jump like I did this time either.

I've done a few upgrades in the past and upon rebooting programs didn't launch, had screen graphic's issue's and a few other things... since then, I always perform fresh installations.

I've done a few upgrades in the past and upon rebooting programs didn't launch, had screen graphic's issue's and a few other things... since then, I always perform fresh installations.
I've had that experience updating the kernel a couple of times. With wifi is the likeliest to bust.

I've done many upgrades and haven't had an issue with any of them in a long time.

I suspect that @wizardfromoz has done a ton of 'em?

If I were to do a clean install every minor upgrade I would probably run that other os that most people here dislike since that one actually needs to be reinstalled every now and then, at least that's how it was last time I had that os on my desktop. Doing a fresh install for minor upgrades is unnecessary and a waste of time, you make a backup and you upgrade and if the upgrade causes any problems for you you can role back to your backup. Also let me remind you that minor versions are nothing more than a set of improvement patches and maybe some security and other patches in there as well within the current major version so no reason to do a fresh install for that reason. When going from one major version to the next it's usually advised to do a fresh install but now days that also doesn't seem to be much of a problem anymore in a lot of cases.

I suspect that @wizardfromoz has done a ton of 'em?

You might be right about that. What gave it away? 84 Distros? (signature link)

I usually perform a clean install, but keep the previous model until its EOL date for helping around here.

I have at least 17 to retire in April, all based on the Ubuntu 18.04 series.

An exception to that is with KDE Neon, which I have upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04 to 22.04 with no problems.

If I were to do a clean install every minor upgrade I would probably run that other os that most people here dislike since that one actually needs to be reinstalled every now and then, at least that's how it was last time I had that os on my desktop. ...
For the clueless like me, which operating system is "...that other os that most people here dislike..." Windows? A specific distro of Linux? Mac? Something else?

For the clueless like me, which operating system is "...that other os that most people here dislike..." Windows? A specific distro of Linux? Mac? Something else?
Yes that would Windows.

I updated the Mint/Ubuntu installation on my second drive, using the mint installer, only took 4 min's no problems
not that it will get much use apart from storing, or for any unforeseen emergency

In Mint I do upgrades for all minor point releases and clean fresh install for all major version releases. I.E. would do an upgrade from 21.0 to 21.1 etc. Clean install from version Version 20.x to version 21.x

In Mint I do upgrades for all minor point releases and clean fresh install for all major version releases. I.E. would do an upgrade from 21.0 to 21.1 etc. Clean install from version Version 20.x to version 21.x
What makes me feel better about upgrading to the next major version is that I don't have to worry about losing any data. Everything is either in the cloud or backed up to a local file server. Adds a bit of extra comfort. ;-)

What makes me feel better about upgrading to the next major version is that I don't have to worry about losing any data. Everything is either in the cloud or backed up to a local file server. Adds a bit of extra comfort. ;-)
I also keep backups of all my important data.

Of cause you don't have to upgrade...until recently I was running Mint Cinnamon 19.1...had no problems and ran great.
m1212.gif

Support for 19.1 ends in April this year...so I moved to 21.1 which has support till 2027...that will do me.
m1213.gif

Members online