Upgraded the forum software

I don't think the op banner is working for me. Does the op see the op banner?
I think it only appears when you started the topic after replying a second time in the topic.

Good stuff, @Rob , Well done mate !

Awesome no time limit anymore for editing pm's, would it also be possible to allow uploading of attachments in conversations instead of only being able to link to an external source or would that cause too much of increase of disk-space usuage?

Hmm...

Person $1 sends you a PM with swearing, name calling, insulting your mother, etc...

You read it, perhaps even reply, but (most importantly) report it.

Person $1 edits their post. That's what shows up in the report. To a moderator, there's no evidence of Person $1's bad actions/rule violations.

That's usually why there's a time limit for editing private messages.

I don't see it being much of a problem here on Linux.org, but it could turn into one in time.

I haven't got any problems with the change, but it may turn into a bit of silliness and drama. There's a 'good reason' for it to be set where it was as a default setting.

Hmm...

Person $1 sends you a PM with swearing, name calling, insulting your mother, etc...

You read it, perhaps even reply, but (most importantly) report it.

Person $1 edits their post. That's what shows up in the report. To a moderator, there's no evidence of Person $1's bad actions/rule violations.

That's usually why there's a time limit for editing private messages.

I don't see it being much of a problem here on Linux.org, but it could turn into one in time.

I haven't got any problems with the change, but it may turn into a bit of silliness and drama. There's a 'good reason' for it to be set where it was as a default setting.
I didn't think of that, if it becomes a problem like the situation you describe we can always put the limit back on and I'm smart enough to make screenshots if I get such messages.

I didn't think of that, if it becomes a problem like the situation you describe we can always put the limit back on and I'm smart enough to make screenshots if I get such messages.

For the most part, people are pretty chill here. As a mod, I get some angry PMs once in a while, but I can deal with those myself. So, it shouldn't be a problem. A screenshot is wise, though those can be faked.

We also see enough messages to also be able to make an informed decision. If you provide a screenshot of someone harassing you via PM, it's more likely to be true than not. So, hopefully it's not an issue. Most people here are pretty easy to get along with.

For the most part, people are pretty chill here. As a mod, I get some angry PMs once in a while, but I can deal with those myself. So, it shouldn't be a problem. A screenshot is wise, though those can be faked.
I actually requested it because sometimes I wanted to edit my original message of people who I chat with on a regular basis and with the time limit I'm half way into editing my message and then I get the message of the time limit having expired. If it becomes a problem for the mods then I don't have a problem of putting the time limit back on. And otherwise I can always offer/volunteer to strengthen the mod team even though I would make a horrible mod, however I would prefer to stay a regular user because of me making a horrible mod.

I would make a horrible mod.

It's not too terrible. It's a bit of work, but it's nice to have a site free of things like spam.

I picture the role as being a janitor. Except sometimes someone will crap in the middle of the floor and then get mad at you for cleaning it up.

It's not too terrible. It's a bit of work, but it's nice to have a site free of things like spam.

I picture the role as being a janitor. Except sometimes someone will crap in the middle of the floor and then get mad at you for cleaning it up.
I know myself too well and how I sometimes react to people is what would make me a horrible mod but maybe if I were a mod the responsibility would sink in and change how I react in those specific situations. As long as no more man power is necessary I prefer to be a regular user.

As long as no more man power is necessary I prefer to be a regular user.

Yup. It took me a while to agree to moderate. I had to think about it first.

As for the rest, I sleep just fine. In other words, I disconnect mentally when I disconnect physically. I don't let much of anything get to me. I do my job keeping the place cleaned. Most of the time, it's just approving posts and dealing with the occasional reported post. That's a good thing.

Like these ones?
Oops - yep, like those. I've bought xenfocus themes for other sites i've run I believe in the past.
Edit: I've also purchased some from pixelexit in the past - i'm a fan:

Actually - I might just grab the 'flat awesome' one i've used on other sites. It even has a 'width changer' so the user can decide whether they want it all the way wide or not.

Last edited:

Haven't quite read to the finish here, but thought I'd best answer this one.

Actually David, there is evidence.

Regular Members cannot edit their Post without leaving an Edit History which is visible to Mods and Admin (Mods and Admin can do so, either visibly or invisibly).

If someone reports bad language &c and there appears no trace of it in their Report, we can look at the original content and compare the history.

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Actually, I might just elaborate a little, for transparency purposes, on that invisible editing option we staff have, lest anyone think that we are going around willy-nilly editing Members' Posts. Off Topic I know but bear with me.

I had an occasion a few days, with a new Member in his 30s, seems like a nice bloke. But he let slip with a word, whereby I invisibly replaced the uc between fk with a pair of asterisks **

It was simpler for me to do it that way than caution the Poster publicly or edit visibly, and I did not wish to spoil his enthusiasm nor embarrass him. At the same time I am mindful of our youngest members (whom probably hear worse at school) and in particular their parents if they are monitoring their children's activities as they should be - we wish these youngsters to go on and become the Linux ambassadors of the future, so I am protective of their interests.

It is I believe the first time I used invisible editing in 3 years and 4 months of moderating, and I do not expect it to become a habit.

Cheers

and BTW @Rob @stan - nice one on that OP flag, could be very useful. :cool:

sorry I am probably one of the worse for editing, my brain works far faster than my fingers, so I often make omissions and spelling errors

Actually David, there is evidence.

Hmm... Try as I might, the closest I can get to that is seeing that it was edited, not what it actually said prior to that.

Edited to remove a word.

Alright. I found the option to see edit history.

That's better.

Morning all - Hey @Rob , interesting side effect of setting up the OPs banner can be found here

https://www.linux.org/threads/minetest-vs-minecraft.9694/#post-141458

For those not aware, we had a major software shakeup of the site around 23 April 2017, which necessitated our Members having to rejoin.

Those who were Members prior to that time are immortally enshrined with the Label Guest.

The OPs banner makes all Guests OPs, :D, but as activity in these Threads occurs seldom, I don't see it as being an issue.

Wiz
Avagudweegend.

interesting side effect of setting up the OPs banner
good evening here [around 10pm] night cap in hand [large brandy tonight]

you cannot make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, which appear to have been broken a long time anyway
just grab a tinnie and relax [i know i am:D]

Avagudweegend.

Don't mind if I do!

I have a delightful rum to sip, Diplomatico Ambassador. It was a few bucks, but it came highly recommended and so far justifies the cost. It makes bold statements in my mouth - for lack of a better expression. You can tell it's definitely aged in a cask, without being overwhelming.

Members online