Upgrading to Lubuntu 18.04!!..... :3

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
So apparently, all the spammers come out at around 12:00 A.M. EST, which coincides with all the weirdos I meet at the local gas station at night, sometimes whilst guzzling Diet Mountain Dew while there..... :\ On a related topic, I'm upgrading to Lubuntu 18.04!..... :3 And, I'm using Chrome at the same time!..... :3 I know Chromium and Google got their RAM crap together, but even still, it's a modern Web Browser, running on a 2GB RAM Laptop, with a low-spec Processor (Atom, I believe), and I'm currently using LXDE (though I have numerous Desktop Environments installed)..... :3 ALL this on a 32 GB eMMC SSD!..... :D I know Windows has gotten pretty efficient with their Compact OS feature being implemented in 10, but I was NEVER able to play audio in Clementine (or other Media Players) while browsing the Internetz..... :3 Every time I would open Chrome on Windows 10, on this same Laptop that now runs Linux, the audio in Clementine would stutter..... But when I start Chrome (or Chromium which Chrome is based on) in Linux (ANY Distro I've used with ANY DE), it's been smooth..... :3 Granted, if I already have a good deal of RAM taken up, there IS some stuttering, but, alas, such is the nature of Memory..... :\ Nonetheless, I can do more with 2GB of RAM in Linux than I can in Windows!..... :3 Again, Windows 10 has improved with resource requirements, but it still needs quite a bit of Disk space, and (I assume) can't run well on 1 GB or less of RAM..... :\ EDIT: Actually, Windows 10 CAN run on 1 GB of RAM..... :) I don't know how well it would perform though, as I don't have a Laptop with 1 GB of RAM..... :3

tl;dr Late night, Coffee, Linux, Programmer :3

@blackneos940 - Re: Playing music.
Seeing as you only have 2Gb of RAM have you tried using any lightweight media players?

Cmus is an excellent terminal based media player that I would recommend. It's small, doesn't use huge amounts of RAM and it can play all of the major music formats (mp3, mp4, ogg, wav, flac etc) and some of the more obscure ones. It can also play-back internet radio streams too.

It might make playback a little smoother!

Cmus might seem a little odd at first, but once you get used to it, it's great. I usually have cmus running in a tmux session in a terminal window.

To learn how to use cmus, there is a tutorial in the man-pages:
Code:
man cmus-tutorial

And to see the rest of the options for cmus and cmus-remote:
Code:
man cmus
man cmus-remote

cmus-remote is a command that can be used to control a running instance of cmus from any other terminal, or you can bind some cmus-remote commands to shortcut keys to control cmus from the desktop.

I've been using cmus extensively for the last year or so now, so I have come up with a few scripts and other tips for using it. I even use it on my Windows 7 PC at work (via cygwin).

@blackneos940 - Re: Playing music.
Seeing as you only have 2Gb of RAM have you tried using any lightweight media players?

Cmus is an excellent terminal based media player that I would recommend. It's small, doesn't use huge amounts of RAM and it can play all of the major music formats (mp3, mp4, ogg, wav, flac etc) and some of the more obscure ones. It can also play-back internet radio streams too.

It might make playback a little smoother!

Cmus might seem a little odd at first, but once you get used to it, it's great. I usually have cmus running in a tmux session in a terminal window.

To learn how to use cmus, there is a tutorial in the man-pages:
Code:
man cmus-tutorial

And to see the rest of the options for cmus and cmus-remote:
Code:
man cmus
man cmus-remote

cmus-remote is a command that can be used to control a running instance of cmus from any other terminal, or you can bind some cmus-remote commands to shortcut keys to control cmus from the desktop.
le
I've been using cmus extensively for the last year or so now, so I have come up with a few scripts and other tips for using it. I even use it on my Windows 7 PC at work (via cygwin).
Hey good sir!..... :3 Thanks for the tip!..... :3 Honestly though, that would be more beneficial if I were using Windows on this thing..... :3 Nonetheless, it sounds cool(see what I did there.....?)!!..... :3 And it can play music remotely??..... :3 Cool!..... :3 I'm installing it now..... :)

Members online