upload Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, forum software may be largely similar, but there's a shed-load of variations.

There's no end of organisations use the same phpBB forum software as we use in the Puppy Community. I've seen several that have all kinds of 'ranks', or like with Linux.org, points at which the member 'state' will automatically change to reflect degree of participation, etc.

except with us , you may have been a member for 5 years but you will still show as a new member, until you reach the required point

MM.....not uncommon, TBH. Making 'full' privileges available beyond a certain, pre-determined point is something of a standard tactic now, I think you'll find. We just have post count on the Puppy forums, and not many people take much notice of that. That's all we need. We recognise OUR 'respected' individuals by community contribution, NOT the number of posts they've made.

I'm not certain of the software LinuxQuestions (LQ.org) uses, though theirs is a kind of 'ranking' system. At some point last year, they had one member lauded for making his second post since joining. Big deal, I hear you say.....but then, the member in question joined, and made his first post in 'Introductions', back before the Millennium.....in 1998..!!

He then made his second ever post more than 24 years later. Most fora would have long since deleted the account as being 'dormant'.......but not, apparently, LQ.org. Mind you, I can't think of too many fora that have been in existence for that many years...

(I never understood Ars Technica. What bright spark came up with the half-baked idea of using Roman Army military rankings, huh? Crazy...)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

I'm not certain of the software LinuxQuestions (lq.org) uses

White-label vBulletin. You have to look at things like page naming and header data, or just use one of the sites that does that for you. Or just be familiar with the feature set, layout, and options.

I see some questions asked on the Forum and think...no one's that stupid or maybe it's a troll...who knows.
p0804.gif

This topic might as well be locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.