"usb 1-6: device not accepting address 3, error -71" (need help)

purjoperse

Reaction score
Credits
Good evening!
My friends Linux installation recently stopped booting and is spewing out:
[ 2.695833] usb 1-6: device not accepting address 3, error -71
[ 3.459838] usb 1-6: device not accepting address 4, error -71
Other people have said he should edit a file named "authorized" in /sys/bus/usb/devices, and yet this file does not exist (for some reason /sys/ is empty).
We would appreciate to learn what error -71 is, and how to fix it.

Thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to mention he's running kubuntu 22.04.

Last edited:

Has he tried removing all USB devices before powering on?

If that works, he can try adding them back one by one.

As you use the words 'recently stopped', I'm inclined to believe that it was once working properly.

This is usually a power issue at that USB port - if there is something plugged in that USB port when booting - unplug it first and reboot and check if errors are gone if so then you know what is wrong - sounds to me like a hub has failed or whatever is plugged in has failed

This is usually a power issue at that USB port - if there is something plugged in that USB port when booting - unplug it first and reboot and check if errors are gone if so then you know what is wrong - sounds to me like a hub has failed or whatever is plugged in has failed
Thank you very much, we'll try what you said.

Has he tried removing all USB devices before powering on?

If that works, he can try adding them back one by one.

As you use the words 'recently stopped', I'm inclined to believe that it was once working properly.
Yes it did work just two days ago.

There's also the 'wait' method. Sometimes, you'll have boot errors but it'll still boot - it just takes time. It may not even give you any messages for a while. So, if none of these things work, have them try one more time but have them wait. Give it a full 15 minutes, or even more.