USB devices not working, error 110

Monkeylord2390

Reaction score
Credits
I decided to move to Linux recently, and installed Linux Mint as a place to start. While installing everything was working fine, all devices detected and functioning as expected. This carried onto into the first launch of the distro, where I set up all my applications, updates, etc. Then I restarted after switching my video driver, and now before every boot "usb 1-9: device descriptor read/64, error -110." I did research and found error 110 seems to signify the connection gets timed out, most often attributed to the usb not receiving enough power. It doesn't seem to be a case of not getting power through though, as the lights indicating my devices are detected shine up until the splash screen with the error.

I'm currently using a live cd version of Linux Mint, where everything seems to work perfectly fine, I have reinstalled the distro as well as trying Ubuntu to see if it would help to no avail. I'm sorry to bother anyone, and thank you ahead of time for any help or advice offered.

I decided to move to Linux recently, and installed Linux Mint as a place to start. While installing everything was working fine, all devices detected and functioning as expected. This carried onto into the first launch of the distro, where I set up all my applications, updates, etc. Then I restarted after switching my video driver, and now before every boot "usb 1-9: device descriptor read/64, error -110." I did research and found error 110 seems to signify the connection gets timed out, most often attributed to the usb not receiving enough power. It doesn't seem to be a case of not getting power through though, as the lights indicating my devices are detected shine up until the splash screen with the error.

I'm currently using a live cd version of Linux Mint, where everything seems to work perfectly fine, I have reinstalled the distro as well as trying Ubuntu to see if it would help to no avail. I'm sorry to bother anyone, and thank you ahead of time for any help or advice offered.
Can you give us the output of the following terminal command.
Code:
inxi -Fxxxz
thanks.

Can you give us the output of the following terminal command.
Code:
inxi -Fxxxz
thanks.
CPU:
Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i5-10400F bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: N/A L2 cache: 12.0 MiB bogomips: 69597
Speed: 2899 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2899 2: 2906 3: 2900
4: 2903 5: 2903 6: 2900 7: 2909 8: 2908 9: 2908 10: 2901 11: 2900 12: 2900
Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm acpi adx aes aperfmperf apic arat
arch_capabilities arch_perfmon art avx avx2 bmi1 bmi2 bts clflush
clflushopt cmov constant_tsc cpuid cpuid_fault cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64
dtherm dts ept ept_ad erms est f16c flexpriority flush_l1d fma fpu
fsgsbase fxsr ht ibpb ibrs ibrs_enhanced ida intel_pt invpcid
invpcid_single lahf_lm lm mca mce md_clear mmx monitor movbe mpx msr mtrr
nonstop_tsc nopl nx ospke pae pat pbe pcid pclmulqdq pdcm pdpe1gb pebs pge
pku pln pni popcnt pse pse36 pts rdrand rdseed rdtscp rep_good sdbg sep
smap smep ss ssbd sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 stibp syscall tm tm2
tpr_shadow tsc tsc_adjust tsc_deadline_timer vme vmx vnmi vpid x2apic
xgetbv1 xsave xsavec xsaveopt xsaves xtopology xtpr

This is what came out while on the live cd instance

Welcome to the forums
now, I know this is Linux and not windows, but this silly trick often works.
  1. In a terminal run, shutdown -h now (turn off the computer)
  2. Unplug USB device from computer.
  3. Unplug power cord to back of the computer.
  4. Unplug power from mains socket.
  5. Wait for the light to go out on the charger
  6. Plugged everything back in and booted up.

Welcome to the forums
now, I know this is Linux and not windows, but this silly trick often works.
  1. In a terminal run, shutdown -h now (turn off the computer)
  2. Unplug USB device from computer.
  3. Unplug power cord to back of the computer.
  4. Unplug power from mains socket.
  5. Wait for the light to go out on the charger
  6. Plugged everything back in and booted up.
I didn't think to power cycle it for some reason. This seems to have worked, at least for the time being. I hope that was all that was wrong.

Thank you for your help!

This seems to have worked, at least for the time being
I said it was silly ;), Give it a few days, If it has stabilised come back and edit your first post to include "solved"

The Inxi report certainately was not definitive :(
Good luck.

I had a similar error as the OP (monkeylord2390). After selecting ubuntu from GRUB2 for bootup, the system would repeatedly say "usb 5-1.3.1.1.3.1: device descriptor read/64 , error -110" and seemed to want to go to "safe mode" , but when I pulled the offending device (an external SATA dock connected via USB 4-port hub), the error went away and boot happened. But during reboot I don't want to have to have that or not be able to boot!

SO, I followed the suggestion ("power cycle") and followed the steps posted by Brickwizard and booted up. I'm now in that same session after bootup and the error did NOT manifest! However, one thing that was strange is that it took FOREVER to boot because it was waiting in that screen that says "Press DEL of F2 to enter UEFI BIOS" and it waited in there MUCH longer than normal.... so I hit "DEL", then it went to BIOS and I hit discard changes, and after that all is seemingly well!

See output of uname -a below ; Before upgrading to kernel 6.2.0-35-generic I never saw this error, and I also wonder if having upgraded to the kernel may have some relationship to the issue?

I'll do some rebooting in upcoming days and hopefully everything is smooth from here on out...

root@2023comp:/# uname -a
Linux 2023comp 6.2.0-35-generic #35~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Oct 6 10:23:26 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Members online