USB Drive is corrupted

If it was me...I'd try a different Distro and burn it to the Flash Drive without formatting it...works every time.
happy0035.gif
ok! But burning iso to file requires formating it. It is just done by software itself.
I also has tried to burn iso to that drive using rufus and etcher and they just through error

ok! But burning iso to file requires formating it. It is just done by software itself.
I also has tried to burn iso to that drive using rufus and etcher and they just through error

Your problem could be one of three things...the user...the Flash Drive or the ISO...take your pick.
happy0157.gif

The good thing about Etcher is...if you try to burn an ISO that's not Bootable you'll get an error warning...if you choose to ignore it...that's your problem.
sad0003.gif

Your problem could be one of three things...the user...the Flash Drive or the ISO...take your pick.
happy0157.gif

The good thing about Etcher is...if you try to burn an ISO that's not Bootable you'll get an error warning...if you choose to ignore it...that's your problem.
sad0003.gif
Problem is with flash drive for sure.
If you are still confused about in which thing there is problem then you havn't read discussion in this thread

This is incorrect. An ISO file is a bit-bit copy of a filesystem. You do not need to format a device, which creates a filesystem, before burning an ISO to it, because the ISO IS the filesystem.

Have you tried a new drive?

If you are still confused about in which thing there is problem then you havn't read discussion in this thread

Burning a Linux Distro to a Flash Drive is kindergarten stuff...it requires very basic computer skills...so why are you finding it so hard. ?
confused0024.gif

I hope you Eject the Flash Drive correctly and not just pull it out.
t2629.gif

I hardly think I'm confused about your problem because I don't have this problem...maybe you should try a DVD or is this too hard. ?
confused0006.gif

Last edited:
GParted is just a pretty frontend. Mainly fdisk. Anyway, perhaps GParted has a bug executing summitz.

Anyway, let's just fix the bloody USB drive:

- Unplug USBvdrive.
- Reboot PC. I'm only saying this as a blanket to eliminate several possible other issues.
- Plug in USB drive
- Open Terminal
- Enter in terminal sudo -i
- Find out what letter the USB drive is with lsblk. I will use sdX for the example.
- Enter in terminal umount --force /dev/sdX_ for each sdX number, eg: sdX1. Usually after dd'ing an ISO, there are 2, sdX1 and sdX2, the first of which should not mount at all, but gremlins.
- Enter fdisk /dev/sdX

fdisk starts...

- Enter g in fdisk.
- Now enter n.
It asks for a partition number. Press Enter (default).
Then it asks first sector. Press Enter (default).
Next, it asks last sector. Default is full size, so press Enter.
- Now, after the output appears, enter w.
- Wait until it exits...

You're back in the terminal's default shell...

- Power off the PC and remove the USB drive. I'm only saying this as a blanket to eliminate several possible other issues.
- Power on the PC, boot into your OS.
- Now plug the USB drive in and run sudo dmesg | tail -n 6 > mylog.txt (this is for our reference).

Congrats. You now have a disk with 1 full partition, unformatted (so you can format in Windows, Linux, or Mac by following usual procedures).
When you plug in the drive, there is no way it will fail unless the drive or your distro (or distro's software) is broken. Let us know if there is a problem. Post the output of "mylog.txt" in code tags -- that's [ code]blah [/ code] w/o spaces before "code". Enjoy.

This is incorrect. An ISO file is a bit-bit copy of a filesystem. You do not need to format a device, which creates a filesystem, before burning an ISO to it, because the ISO IS the filesystem.

Have you tried a new drive?
Ok!
Even if I do not need to format drive it is still formated by softwares like rufus and etcher.
And how can even burning iso file to drive can do any good? I mean I have tried everything like burning iso, formating, deleting partitions, creating new file tables etc

New Drive? If you are asking about installation of Tiny Core Linux on new drive then no. I don't want to lose any more drives lol!
But I have been using 2 to 3 drives for different linux distros

Last edited:
Burning a Linux Distro to a Flash Drive is kindergarten stuff...it requires very basic computer skills...so why are you finding it so hard. ?
confused0024.gif

I hope you Eject the Flash Drive correctly and not just pull it out.
t2629.gif

I hardly think I'm confused about your problem because I don't have this problem...maybe you should try a DVD or is this too hard. ?
confused0006.gif
??
when i said it is hard. I'm just saying you should read discussion on this post in which I have already explained and did everything. why would i explain everything again specially for you?

Ok!
Even if I do not need to format drive it is still formated by softwares like rufus and etcher.
Nope, you're still incorrect. It simply burns the ISO, which contains it's own filesystem.

And how can even burning iso file to drive can do any good? I mean I have tried everything like burning iso, formating, deleting partitions, creating new file tables etc
Did you try the steps @Fanboi recommended? Outcome?
Did you try a different drive? Outcome?

Did you try the steps @Fanboi recommended? Outcome?
Did you try a different drive? Outcome?
I have yet not tried Fanboi's method yet

New Drive? If you are asking about installation of Tiny Core Linux on new drive then no. I don't want to lose any more drives lol!

Nope, you're still incorrect. It simply burns the ISO, which contains it's own filesystem.
Ok! Thanks for telling me that
But rufus show the message that it will format drive to whatever filesystem user has set. I wonder if it is lie. Don't remember about etcher

I reiterate my very first response to this thread ...
I doubt an ISO could directly be the cause of a USB stick failure. If there is nothing wrong with the USB stick hardware, you should be able to just reformat, or reimage with a new ISO, no harm done.
... Unless the drive is just ready to die.

This is what it sounds like to me. Your USB device is dead or dying, and it's time to toss it in the bin.

In your original post, you ask help about Tiny Core Linux, I do not know anything about that OS. Forget about all other third party softwares, you can prepare your own usb bootable Linux by yourself by using simple shell commands. I tried on lots of dd commands on one stick, and stick's stability changed. But if you have a good guide that shows how to install it one time, all the scenario changes.I have explained it how in my guide after learning and trial and errors for fine tunings.

If you want to install Debian OS with persistence(i.e. look like a installed version of Debian 64 bit, permanent storage etc.) on USB, you can look here for step by step explanation in detail how to use syslinux/extlinux, what is master boot record and how to change it in usb etc. to prepare a bootable Linux on USB; if your USB didn't die yet and you have a patience to read and follow step by step installation guide :).

Last edited by a moderator:
??
when i said it is hard. I'm just saying you should read discussion on this post in which I have already explained and did everything. why would i explain everything again specially for you?

p0804.gif

let's just fix the bloody USB drive

Mine drive is /dev/sda
dd.png

fdisk after dd
AfterDD.png
fdisk /dev/sdX
3fdisk.png

These are logs
Code:
[   47.675280] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 15728640 512-byte logical blocks: (8.05 GB/7.50 GiB)
[   47.675688] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[   47.675701] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[   47.676214] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[   47.676227] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   47.687180] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

And fdisk didn't created new partition
USB might be physically damaged