USB extender not working properly (CLOSED).

SeanK

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

Purchased one of those cheap and cheerful EBay USB extenders. The kind you plug into an existing USB port, that then offers in this case, another x3 ports to connect to. Oddly it recognises one of my external devices, a USB powered speaker, but not my keyboard or mouse.

I wondered if anyone had had similar issues and had resolved them? Its not a biggie as its a cheap little device but if I can get it up and running it would save me swapping devices in and out.

Running LMDE.

Cheers.

Last edited:

So, it's a hub for more USB ports? If so, you should probably see it in the lsusb output.

Also, it's cheap. What are the odds that it's malfunctioning?

Moving this to Linux Hardware (also peripheral devices), it's better there as not a Mint-specific question.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

So, it's a hub for more USB ports? If so, you should probably see it in the lsusb output.

Also, it's cheap. What are the odds that it's malfunctioning?
I ran lsusb and its not showing up. I suspected it might well be a dud but I hate waste so wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for the assist.

Are all the ports wired for data? As it may be ment to split "power".
Hi There,

It would appear they are. Ran Lsusb and I have tried this device on different USB ports and a completely different laptop running Windows 10. Its not working on any device so I suspect its safe to assume its faulty at this point.

Appreciate the reply.

Linux recognizes USB hubs, or it can. I don't suppose you have a 2nd device to test with?

Hi There,

It would appear they are. Ran Lsusb and I have tried this device on different USB ports and a completely different laptop running Windows 10. Its not working on any device so I suspect its safe to assume its faulty at this point.

Appreciate the reply.
When you buy a USB Hub make sure it has it's own power supply, if not you may find that when connecting to it there is not enough power being supplied to it and nothing works or only one thing works and the rest do not - I am running a Atolla USB 3.0 Hub with 7 ports - works very well - https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Charging-Individual-Switches-Extension/dp/B07G8CMR18

Members online

Latest posts