USB OBDII device

f16bmathis

Reaction score
Credits
This is complicated... I'm trying to use a USB OBDII reader to perform a OBDII can dump or use sniffer to "see" the data being used by my car. So I have a Raspberry PI running LINUX and I've loaded can-utils, and can command candump and cansniffer, but these programs require I use the USB device as "can0" or slcan0", but when I type that, all I get is "No such device". Yet looking at USB devices (lsusb), I can see it in the list, but yet not as anything close to "can0". It shows as "Bus 001 Device 006: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology....... Any clue as to how to use this device in a can dump program? The youtube video "can bus sniffing with linux" does not explain enough to figure it out. Thanks!

I don't know how to use the OBD reader in a can dump program using Linux.
At a guess I think you might have to install the Linux driver for Edimax for it to work.

A friend of mine told me you can use the scanner with an Android phone via Bluetooth.
You'll have to install fdroid first than install androbd.

Hope that helps.

I don't know how to use the OBD reader in a can dump program using Linux.
At a guess I think you might have to install the Linux driver for Edimax for it to work.

A friend of mine told me you can use the scanner with an Android phone via Bluetooth.
You'll have to install fdroid first than install androbd.

Hope that helps.
Sorry, it doesn't. I can easily use my phone to see OBDII codes and reset, the usual stuff. What I want to do is use the OBDII to perform a candump, cansniffer, read data and even send data over the OBDII can bus and decode the can communications in my car.

Sorry, it doesn't. I can easily use my phone to see OBDII codes and reset, the usual stuff. What I want to do is use the OBDII to perform a candump, cansniffer, read data and even send data over the OBDII can bus and decode the can communications in my car.
If my thinking is correct you would need some kind of firmware/API to communicate between your car and the OBDll device (like your Raspberry PI) and have the can-utils installed in order to kick out that kind of data. You already have the device set as "can0" so I don't get why it's not working.

Have you tried running this script in the link below?

Dump OBDII Info via cansend and candump

Last edited:
Is the OBDll device this? (sanity check)

"Bus 001 Device 006: ID 7392:7811 Edimax

If so and you configured it to be the "can0" device it should work after running the script and having the car on, I'd think.

Last edited:
The CAN bus is a reliable, high speed bus that is used to send critical data. Unfortunately the data packets on the bus are not standardized so you will need to reverse them to know what they mean.

Plug the CAN device into the car’s OBD-II port and the computer’s USB port. Bring up the CAN interface by running the following in your Linux prompt:

sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 500000

Staff online