usb use as ram

Do you mean as swap space?

If not, I'm lost and would like it if you elaborated?

i useing the usb to add more short-term memory. it would similar to normal ram unless extral ram slot is better way to go

Do you mean as swap space?

If not, I'm lost and would like it if you elaborated?
I believe this is a Windows only thing from the days of Windows XP / Windows Vista although I don't hear much about it these days with the massive amounts of memory in computers nowadays.

Yeah, it doesn't work that way.

First, swap isn't RAM. Swap isn't actually a place where Linux puts stuff when the RAM is full. It's much, much more complicated than that.

Second, using a USB device to hold stuff called on frequently/cached would limit you to the USB speeds. So, you probably don't want to do that.

You can look into zRam, if you'd like.

Or, more appropriately, let us know what exactly it is that you're trying to solve with this. It sounds like an X-Y problem. You have a problem and that's how you think you want to resolve it. There might be better ways to resolve the problem. So, that's a better choice - I think.

I believe this is a Windows only thing from the days of Windows XP / Windows Vista although I don't hear much about it these days with the massive amounts of memory in computers nowadays.

Yeah, their ReadyBoost. I would suggest adding RAM - assuming system slowdown is the concern. They could put swap on USB, but it isn't going to help. That's not gonna help anything.

I wouldn't take notice of anything micro$oft says.

The best option is to add another stick of Ram as Motherboards now can handle up to 32GB of Ram, my Tower has 16GB of Ram and it's 7 yrs old.

I wouldn't take notice of anything micro$oft says.

The best option is to add another stick of Ram as Motherboards now can handle up to 32GB of Ram, my Tower has 16GB of Ram and it's 7 yrs old.
my band new hp can hold max of 16 on 64 bit. 32 bit only holds 8

For amusement purposes only:

Download free Ram, now there's an idea. They say more Ram makes your computer go faster. I wonder if I can download a free Laptop.

my band new hp can hold max of 16 on 64 bit. 32 bit only holds 8

Actually 32bit can only handle up to 4GB of Ram, you can put more in but it wont see or use it. ;)

Download free Ram, now there's an idea.

They used to (or maybe still do) have the pre-movie blurbs that said, "You wouldn't download a car!"

They couldn't be more wrong. Yes, yes I would.

Members online

Latest posts