Used book is incomplete!

Jayv2251

Reaction score
Credits
After a 20+ year recess from Linux, I'm going back and re-teaching myself. While looking for resources I came across a pre-owned copy of O'Reilly Press "Building Linux Clusters" written by David HM Spector. I was unaware when I ordered it that the CD which should have been included, wasn't in the book when it arrived. I'm still reading about and working with some basic Ubuntu free online classes, so I don't really need the information in the book immediately, but I would like to find a source where I can get a replacement for the CD. Even if it's dated material as the first addition to this book was written in July of 2000, it would be a starting point for some information.

Maybe try contacting the company that you purchased the book from and see if they could advise you.
OR> call O'Reilly directly and see if there is a way to obtain that CD.

IF those options fail try looking for the CD online.

I see after Googling the book that Amazon sells that book.
Call Amazon and see if they can get the CD for you.
Also there are other sellers for that book maybe try contacting them too.

Another Idea-:)

Whatever tools that are on that CD that teach how to Build Linux Clusters should be fairly easy to find.
This search is a start:

http://www.beowulf.org/ might also be a help.

Good Luck

I wrote that comment in haste now that I've had time to think about it. As I had mentioned in my original post, this book was written 20 years ago. Just how current will the information in it be? From a basic concept point of view, some things will not have changed, but how it's done more than likely has. I know a quick flip through of the book shows examples of MPI being used. I'm still very rusty with Linux, but I'm already aware that OpenMPI and OpenMP surpass MPI now.

As of today, however, everything in this project is going on hold. New landlords want the building for flipping. Gotta pack up and move! UGH! I hate moving!!!

Sometimes we jump without thinking about a situation first so I know what you mean.
Glad to hear that OpenMP surpasses MPI now.

Good luck with moving.

As I had mentioned in my original post, this book was written 20 years ago. Just how current will the information in it be? From a basic concept point of view, some things will not have changed, but how it's done more than likely has.
Also it probably depends on what type of cluster you are building and what clustering software you are using. For example with Rhel6 to setup a cluster you would use ricci/luci and from Rhel7 and forward pacemaker/corosync are used. Those two work entirely differently, so while clustering concepts may not change much over the years the software used to setup clusters does change over the years. It may be still worth a shot to e-mail O'Reilly to ask if they have an iso ofthe cd-rom that comes with the book.

Last edited:

Members online