Useful website for helping choose a distribution

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Just tried this out myself, it's pretty good for choosing a distro, although they gave me many options to choose from, I think for the most part, this is helpful to new users.

The questions were interesting and I'm sure sure it is useful for new Linux comers, but i believe it should have some questions about hardware requirements too. I'm sure there are some users that want to choose lightweight Linux distros. It was my personal opinion

I think there was one question on how recent the hardware you currently have, but it did not ask more than that... Some hardware might not work with Linux correctly, but I would think, it would be hard to identify all the hardware that works and does not due to different distros packaging different version of the kernel, different drivers, etc..

i believe it should have some questions about hardware requirements too.
There is this website for that, it would be hard to link that to distro-chooser because than it would require they scan your hardware first or something like that.
Most people use mainstream hardware and unless you are using something really new, out of the ordinary or some type of professional use-case hardware device then Linux will run just fine. As I have mentioned in other topics I haven't looked up hardware compatibility ever since I started with Linux, I just buy and then install Linux.

Yeah, thats right. Generally Linux is less hardware demanding than windows and most users can use Linux, but for those users who require low demanding Linux distro, mainly the focus is on RAM as much as i know and a fewer number of them need Linux for old CPUs.

That site has never given me good results. :-( I've played with it a few times over the years. At one point, I almost cloned it and made it a part of my site after fixing it.

That site has never given me good results. :-( I've played with it a few times over the years. At one point, I almost cloned it and made it a part of my site after fixing it.
Hey KGIII

Can we have the link to your site?

Click the 2nd or 3rd line in his signature and you'll get there

Signed
Not the KGIII ;)

Wizard (and welcome)

Hey, I'm the developer of distrochooser.de. I've just registered here to be able to give you a ping. I would love to here what your issue was/ is and how I can improve the service as I plan to start working on a new version in april or may.

I know that not all user profiles can be satisfied, which is a technical limitation I am battling for quite some time. The core issue is quite often that distrochooser "wants" an homogenous bulk of answers, but if you for example are an expierienced user while some answers are pointing to more beginner friendly distributions (or inverted), the result will get messy.

If you want, just drop me a mail on mail[at]chmr.de or a DM. Thank you :)

-----
The questions were interesting and I'm sure sure it is useful for new Linux comers, but i believe it should have some questions about hardware requirements too. I'm sure there are some users that want to choose lightweight Linux distros. It was my personal opinion

Actually I am planning a change on this topic, as the "do I have an old computer" question is quite elastic nowadays and does not lead to reliable results. I did not decide yet how this will be solved in the future, but I am sure it will be changed for the next version.

Last edited by a moderator:
"do I have an old computer"
First, Welcome to the linux.org forums,

to answer that question, " how long is a piece of string?" youngsters will consider anything older than a couple of years old, whereas being an old fellah, I would not consider it old unless it is 10-15 years

Hey, I'm the developer of distrochooser.de. I've just registered here to be able to give you a ping. I would love to here what your issue was/ is and how I can improve the service as I plan to start working on a new version in april or may.
Welcome @chmr_eu, great to have you here!

Can we have the link to your site?

If you want, just drop me a mail on mail[ät]chmr.de or a DM.

The last time I tried it, it looked like it hadn't been updated in a decade and gave me results I wouldn't be interested in - and made no sense to me according to the answers I gave.

I can give you a more specific answer, but I'll have to pencil you in to do it well. My blocks of time are pretty well spoken for this week. I'll squeeze you in somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome @chmr_eu, great to have you here!

At some point, everyone ends up here!

The person behind boot-repair was getting feedback on another forum and I almost invited 'em over here.

@chmr_eu - G'day Christoph and welcome to linux.org :) from DownUnder.

Nice to have you on board, we hope you will stick around.

Consider swinging over to Member Introductions and meeting a few of the gang, and telling us some of your story?

For safety purposes (eg spambots) I have replaced your email posted, with a safer option (and likewise from your Post, David @KGIII )

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Christoph, one area you might want to look at (or maybe you already are) is that some of the questions answered lead to centOS as a choice.

Given centOS 8 is being replaced by centOS Stream, directing such queries to an answer of Rocky Linux may be preferable.

Just a thought.

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts