'user ... is not allowed to execute .... as root on ... ' - even with SUDO privileges but not sure why?

emre_yavuz_21

Reaction score
Credits
I am in the processing of installing singularity using the terminal on my Linux Mint computer (Ubuntu).

I have the following command:

install apt get

The computer then asks me to enter my password:

[sudo] password for user:

When I enter my password, the computer gives me the error:

user ... is not allowed to execute ... as root on ...

However, I have checked that I have SUDO privileges, which my linux terminal confirms that I do, so I am unsure as to why the computer may be giving me this error.

I would be so grateful for a helping hand!

apt get is always done with a dash should be apt-get . But apt is the preferred command now. apt-get will still work thouo gh.
As far as the user not being able to get root privileges do you have more than one user account on that machine. If so only the original user has sudoer privileges, In order to give another user those privileges you would have to add them to the /etc/sudoers file.

This page will tell you how to do that if needed.

apt get is always done with a dash should be apt-get . But apt is the preferred command now. apt-get will still work thouo gh.
As far as the user not being able to get root privileges do you have more than one user account on that machine. If so only the original user has sudoer privileges, In order to give another user those privileges you would have to add them to the /etc/sudoers file.

This page will tell you how to do that if needed.
Thanks so much - I will try tomorrow and let you know if I am successful :)

Members online