Using my printer/scanner/copier

newtolinux

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys! I have a Brother laser printer/scanner/fax that I can't get to scan. It prints fine, and when I downloaded the scanner file from Brother's website specifically for Linux, it says it's installed but I don't know how to set it up to scan. Any help?

Any help?

Out of interest what is the output as a standard user i.e at command line prompt " $" ( no sudo )

Code:
groups

this is mine:

Code:
bash-5.0$ groups
users lp floppy audio video cdrom apache scanner
bash-5.0$ 

what OS are you using, 32 bit, 64 bit, which flavour

Out of interest what is the output as a standard user i.e at command line prompt " $" ( no sudo )

Code:
groups

this is mine:

Code:
bash-5.0$ groups
users lp floppy audio video cdrom apache scanner
bash-5.0$

what OS are you using, 32 bit, 64 bit, which flavour
I'm using Mint 64 bit. I went to the Brother website and downloaded the installer file for Linux but can't get the correct command to extract it. When I type "cd" to look for the file it says no such file or directory. I've even moved the file to an easier directory to access but still can't. I'm not that literate using the terminal, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've used the directions Brother provided from their website, but I still can't get it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and It's starting to frustrate me.

ok , you probably used a browser so it will probably end up in Downloads.

After launching a terminal window if at the $ prompt you type pwd, that shows you where the terminal is , putting it simply working from.

eg my system , default on launch is home

Code:
bash-5.0$ pwd
/home/andrew
bash-5.0$

what does :

Code:
ls Downloads

what is the output.

If the download was a .deb file then you can directly install it along the lines of

sudo dpkg --install packagename.deb

let me call some known Mint users:

@70 Tango Charlie @Condobloke + wiz @wizardfromoz

Last edited:
there is an issue with the Brother scanner driver, which puts the data files of the driver into the wrong folder.
The installer puts these files into the folder /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother* (the star at the end means the ending according to your printer model and can vary). But the scan applications just look for the drivers in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane --> thats why it doesn't work. The solution is to put a symbolic link between these folders.
And this done by opening a terminal and typing:
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
and if you are really clever, you just copy this command into your terminal. ;-) After that, do a restart and hopefully then it will work.

Model of printer ?

You may have a solution in your other thread on this same subject. It is bad practice to double post... you have divided your helpers this way. People work better together than separately.

@Lord Boltar gives good advice....it may be in your best interests to ask @wizardfromoz to close this thread, and concentrate on the answer given at the other. If you dont understand how to apply the answer there...say so.

I am actually going to move His Lordship's advice here and close and delete the other.

Wizard

ok , you probably used a browser so it will probably end up in Downloads.

After launching a terminal window if at the $ prompt you type pwd, that shows you where the terminal is , putting it simply working from.

eg my system , default on launch is home

Code:
bash-5.0$ pwd
/home/andrew
bash-5.0$

what does :

Code:
ls Downloads

what is the output.

If the download was a .deb file then you can directly install it along the lines of

sudo dpkg --install packagename.deb

let me call some known Mint users:

@70 Tango Charlie @Condobloke + wiz @wizardfromoz
  • You may have a solution in your other thread on this same subject. It is bad practice to double post... you have divided your helpers this way. People work better together than separately.
    You may have a solution in your other thread on this same subject. It is bad practice to double post... you have divided your helpers this way. People work better together than separately.
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to divide anyone. The reason I did that is because I have both mint and xubuntu installed on my laptop with the same problem. Sorry about that. I'm very new to Linux and want to learn as much as possible from everybody on here since you have the most experience with it. Thanks

@Lord Boltar - your pardon, I had an error with our software and deleted a Post of yours at the duplicate Thread, during my attempt to move the Post here.

Could you repeat when you get time please?

TIA

Wizard

@Lord Boltar - your pardon, I had an error with our software and deleted a Post of yours at the duplicate Thread, during my attempt to move the Post here.

Could you repeat when you get time please?

TIA

Wizard
there is an issue with the Brother scanner driver, which puts the data files of the driver into the wrong folder.
The installer puts these files into the folder /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother* (the star at the end means the ending according to your printer model and can vary). But the scan applications just look for the drivers in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane --> thats why it doesn't work. The solution is to put a symbolic link between these folders.
And this done by opening a terminal and typing:
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
and if you are really clever, you just copy this command into your terminal. ;-) After that, do a restart and hopefully then it will work.

Also
Open this file
Code:
sudo gedit -H /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules
Add the following line to the file, just before the line # The following rule will disable USB autosuspend for the device

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"`

Reboot

Think that is both my answers

I am actually going to move His Lordship's advice here and close and delete the other.

Wizard
Thank you. Sorry about that. The reason I posted to both forums is because I have both Mint and Xubuntu installed making my laptop a dual boot. I'm really more concerned with Mint and to get everything to run properly if I can. Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts