Using package managers for privilege escalation - an interesting read.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Ooh, that's not good. That is why you leave permissions set to require sudo authentication for everything except for maybe a few special cases.

Be careful who gets sudo permissions, I guess. Man, am I glad that I don't really have to be the one to deal with anything that's a truly multi-user environment. It keeps things nice and simple.

The reason why you should only use trusted sources for installing packages, as well as the least privileges necessary principal and never run a script before actually having read it yourself so you have an idea of what it will actually be doing to your system. There is a way to execute commands as root when you have sudo access to tcpdump, went looking for it and found what I was talking about plus more.

Last edited:
The reason why you should only used trusted sources for installing packages, as well as the least privileges necessary principal and never run a script before actually having read it yourself so you have an idea of what it will actually be doing to your system. There is a way to execute commands as root when you have sudo access to tcpdump, went looking for it and found what I was talking about plus more.
Looks like an interesting read.

Do not give permission more than is needed to do the job at hand. Be careful. Most hacks are actually the fault of human error.

This is why most of us stick to downloading software from our chosen distros repositories.

If you download software from 3rd party sites, you don’t know exactly what you’re getting, unless you inspect the package thoroughly before even attempting to install it.

Always get your packages from your distro, or from sources that are officially endorsed by whatever company, or collective are behind any given piece of software.

And if you administer a multi-user system - be extremely careful who you give sudo permissions to!

Members online