verify ISO

caferacer

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to verify the ISO of mint 64, however the instructions do not fully explain how to do this
under verify with windows it says "follow steps in preparation section"

1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory

a quick search turned up this
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/b8921d69-6e85-461d-9578-56d903281ffd
"control+shift+n" however this results in nothing happening, a dead end, next I found "windows subsystem for Linux" in the windows store and installed it
another search resulted in "mkdir" to make a directory in Linux, so I created the directory and named it ISO,

2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

again I was required to search and found "MV" however when I typed
mv linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso
it came up "command not found"

the instructions for verifying the ISO are incomplete and make many assumptions preventing potential Linux users from ever being able to install linux

Last edited:

thanks for the reply, BUT......….....
linking to the exact pages I quoted, the ones that do not have enough information to complete the ISO verification process, is of dubious help,

I have been trying to get another Linux PC build together for a couple years now, and keep getting stuck at the verify ISO step, so how bad of an idea is it to skip this step and just install it without verifying the download integrity ?

Last edited:
2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

again I was required to search and found "MV" however when I typed
it came up "command not found"

I am confused, is the above from within Windows?

You do not use

mv

in Windows, that is a Linux command.

In Windows it is

move

Wizard

if I must repeat myself, I guess I must repeat myself
(also clarified the OP)

"next I found Linux in windows store and installed it
another search resulted in "mkdir" to make a directory in Linux, so I created the directory and named it ISO"

if I must repeat myself, I guess I must repeat myself
(also clarified the OP)

"next I found Linux in windows store and installed it
another search resulted in "mkdir" to make a directory in Linux, so I created the directory and named it ISO"
In "Linux" - just open a terminal and "cd" (change directory) to the directory where the .iso file is you wish to calculate the checksum for. Copy the result and paste it into a text editor. Then find the checksum of the file you downloaded from the site where you downloaded it from. Copy and paste that into the same text editor and compare the two.
Works for md5sum, sha1sum, sha256sum.
I have no idea what the "Linux in the windows store " is or if that will work the same way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From within Windows the "HashCalc" app works quite well using the same method.
https://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/

so you are saying the mistake was using "MV"

when I should use "CD" ?
cd linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso

so you are saying the mistake was using "MV"

when I should use "CD" ?
cd linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso
I'm saying - all you have to do when in Linux is change to the directory or folder where your "linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso" is and open a Terminal window there - while in that folder location. You can do this from the GUI without using the Terminal commands. Just use your mouse to navigate to the correct folder (directory). Find an empty spot in the folder window then right click and select "Open in Terminal" from the context menu which opens when you right click. When the terminal window opens use the sha256sum utility - space - followed by the name of your file (linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso).
If you are NOT in Linux but are instead are in Windows the procedure may be different.

It sounds to me like you may be trying to verify the file signature using instructions for a ".sig" file. While that will work, it requires a few more steps. The procedure I outlined above is a little simpler and easier.

Let us know how it works out.

P.S. "cd" is to change directory. That is how you would navigate the filesystem from within the Terminal window. It works the same as using your mouse and pointer to click on folder icons and move from one directory to another.

I cant figure out how to get the Linux mint download into "Windows Subsystem for Linux" that I installed from windows store
and "control+shift+n" no longer works in windows to create a directory

I can create a directory and name it ISO, in windows subsystem for Linux, but I cant get the file there
I can move the file in windows, but I can't create a directory to put it

SO the $1,000,000 question is
CAN I SKIP THE VERIFYCATION STEP ???????
or is that a BAD idea??????
medium bad? or DONT DO IT!!!!!!! bad?

• First follow the steps in the "Preparation" section of https://linuxmint.com/verify.php for the version you downloaded. It is essential that at step 3 you follow the instruction to right click the links and select to Save as...(exact wording varies depending on your browser, e.g. Save Link As... in Chrome and Firefox). Left clicking the files and saving the contents in other ways will lead to authentication failure.

Note that it does not matter where exactly you put the files as long as they are all in the same folder and keep their original names.
  • Then browse to https://www.gnupg.org/download/index.html and download and install the Windows installer for GnuPG. Read on....

how exactly do you follow step 3
when you can not get past step 2 ??????????????

I have tried doing this a dozen times over the past few years with no success
eventually giving up and just loading windows instead
not because I prefer windows, but because I am left with no other option
the last version of Linux I was able to create a functional copy of was Ubuntu 14.04.4
I have tried using that and stepping up to the latest LTS version, but each time I reach a point where Linux will not upgrade anymore, even though I only upgraded to the next stable version as specified in the Ubuntu upgrade instructions

Last edited:
SO the $1,000,000 question is
CAN I SKIP THE VERIFYCATION STEP ???????
or is that a BAD idea??????
medium bad? or DONT DO IT!!!!!!! bad?
Yes. You can skip the verification step.
If you downloaded the file from an "official" down load page you will be fine. Many people skip the checksum integrity verifier step.
If you downloaded from a third party download site OR used a browser 'downloader' add-on - medium bad. Should work fine but....... Try it and see.
If you downloaded from a "sketchy" site or from a "sketchy" torrent - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! bad.
You'll be fine. SKip the verification step for now.

how exactly do you follow step 3
when you can not get past step 2 ??????????????

I have tried doing this a dozen times over the past few years with no success
eventually giving up and just loading windows instead
not because I prefer windows, but because I am left with no other option
the last version of Linux I was able to create a functional copy of was Ubuntu 14.04.4
I have tried using that and stepping up to the latest LTS version, but each time I reach a point where Linux will not upgrade anymore, even though I only upgraded to the next stable version as specified in the Ubuntu upgrade instructions
A few questions:
1.) Have you looked at these Microsoft docs? Especially this;
"Before installing any Linux distros for WSL, you must ensure that the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" optional feature is enabled:".

2.) What version of Windows are you running?

3.) Where did you get your Linux installation file? I cannot find Linux Mint in the Microsoft App Store.

latest version of windows 10

Linux subsystem for windows (ubuntu) from windows store

Linux mint cinnamon 64 19.2 from the link at the top of this page

If you are using the Windows Subsystem for Linux, that will only allow you to install Ubuntu apps - not the whole OS. If you check in All Programs/Apps, you should see whatever version of Linux you downloaded from the Microsoft store (Ubuntu, Kali, etc). This will ONLY allow you to run a CLI, not the full OS. So if your goal is to somehow run the full version of Linux Mint utilizing WSL, I dont believe its going to work.

I cant run Linux on this PC, it is my sim racing / gaming rig
I am trying to create bootable media for use on other PC's
old used stuff, core2duo, Athlon 64 X2, old i3 laptop, etc.
anything i5 or better I run windows 10,
thinking Linux would be better on the older stuff

I seen that on the Ubuntu download page, however that will not solve my issue

I have managed to open a new file in windows, so I will proceed that way
ignore the instruction for windows in the microsoft answers thread I linked, and do the exact opposite
because windows right????? ugh

Last edited:

Members online