Video CODECS

ravoort

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I'm new over here. Currently I'm doing research for development of our own "simple" IP camera board/module/sbc/.....
The camera will be used for a machine and needs to be low latency. Currently I made a poc with a raspberry pi and got to about 80-100ms using mjpeg over HTTP and then displaying it through a windows client. There was a diffrence of about 2 or 3 frames while displaying the stream in a web browser (fps was 90, so its quiet a diffrence when the goal is sub 100ms delay).

I would like to know what protocol I should use, and if there are better streaming protocols eg h264. My point of view in using MJPEG over h264 is that bandwith does not matter since it will be isolated on its own network, and that the images will contain continiously moving parts all over the view area. However as I understood H264 can be encoded in hardware while MJPEG is mostly CPU intensitive?

I would like to know which protocols I should use or prefer, to enable low latency streaming or even go lower than 100ms as seen below. The quality does not matter since I won't be streaming 1080p. I'll be streaming VGA-ish resolutions (640x480) since this is more than enough.

Maybe its also important to know that since the network will be isolated, the client to server is only 1 router hop away.

Kind regards
Ravoort

im1.png

im2.png