Video Sound Doesn't Play

G-Wiz

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm encountering a strange issue where videos are muted. Only video files, my systems sound is working fine, I can play mp3's watch youtube etc.

Sometimes it does work, but if I skip the video at all, the sound breaks. I've tried mpv, celluloid and vlc, none play sound in a video. In the volume mixer I can see the meter going up and down so it does recognise that sound is being played.

I only have one sound output, my hdmi cable, so the sound isn't going to some other device.

Once just opening pavucontrol fixed the issue, I could even skip fine, but that's only happened once.

Please let me know what else you need to know to help troubleshoot this, it's annoying to say the least having to boot into windows just to watch a video file.

Thanks

Is this true in multiple video players, or just one? If it's just one video player, which one is it?

I've tried the video in mpv, celluloid and vlc, all behave exactly the same.

Hmm... One additional test would be to grab a copy of Ubuntu (for example) to see if the problem exists in a live instance.

Anyhow, I can see you're using Arch and it's safe to assume you're fully updated?

I just tried in my Arco liveusb and the problem is there too. I can also still try in ubuntu if you want me to.

Yeah, I'm up to date. I've updated several times while I've had this issue.

It may be worth checking a different distro - assuming Arco is an Arch derivative.

I still don't have any idea what's causing the problem, I'm just helping to eliminate possibilities.

I ran into issues in the ubuntu live environment, no wifi and lack of codecs so I couldn't play the video at all.

I'm gonna buy a sound card, see if an alternative sound output fixes the issue.

Hmm... We probably could have tried a distro that has the codecs already included - I think that's Mint.

But, a sound card is dirt cheap these days. You might as well try it. You should probably include "linux" in the search terms when buying a sound card, but in my experience they tend to just work right out of the box.

...assuming Arco is an Arch derivative.

I think the OP is using Arcolinux, but I likely can't help further.

Wizard

Yeah I'm on Arco.
Adding a second sound output has solved the problem, for whatever reason Arco does not want to send video files' audio output through my hdmi cable o_O

Glad you got it sorted. I'd have pretty much never diagnosed that one.